Great Mills Schools?

Rob71zilla

My wife and I along with our 1.5 year old daughter just moved to the area from Alabama (originally from upstate NY). We are in an apartment complex in Lexington Park while we wait on our house to be built. Our house will be in Lexington Park as well, but a few miles off of Great Mills Rd. It's in a new sub division around a few other newer subdivisions. My question is how bad are the area schools? Sounds like Great Mills HS is rough, but what about the elementary and middle schools? We are seriously contemplating pulling out of our contract and getting something in a better area. Is it bad enough where we should really think about that? Could be move to another district when our daughter goes into high school and be ok? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Rob71zilla

I didn't know there were different zones. I know it's Great Mills High School. I'll have to look up my contract to see what the elementary and middle schools are.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I didn't know there were different zones. I know it's Great Mills High School. I'll have to look up my contract to see what the elementary and middle schools are.

Yes, there are different districts. It depends where you are for the elementary and middle schools. Those could be Piney Point, Lexington Park, Greenview Knolls, and Town Creek Elementary schools. Middle schools are probably Spring Ridge or Esperanza. The shooting at Great Mills this spring was an isolated incident.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A lot of the "this school is terrible and that school is better" is overblown.

True. I believe that bussing the STEM kids to Spring Ridge helps bring the school "grade" up. My daughter went to Hollywood Elementary, then on to Esperanza, but didn't have a good 6th grade experience. We pulled her for 7th & 8th and put her in parochial school, then on to Leonardtown High. My niece went to Town Creek, Esperanza and will start her senior year at Great Mills in the fall. She had no issues with Esperanza or Great Mills.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, my kids both (23 and 20) graduated from GMHS, and they all their STEM friends never had any problems. Basically they said it's two different worlds that dont mingle.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, my kids both (23 and 20) graduated from GMHS, and they all their STEM friends never had any problems. Basically they said it's two different worlds that dont mingle.

Exactly. My niece isn't into getting into trouble, so she steers clear of that crowd. But that is at any school.

MiddleGround

Are there any other STEM schools in the county? I always wondered about the kids up towards upper Mechanicsville and towards the Charles County line. Do those kids have to bus all the way down to Spring Ridge to attend STEM?

Sorry about the hijack question

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are there any other STEM schools in the county? I always wondered about the kids up towards upper Mechanicsville and towards the Charles County line. Do those kids have to bus all the way down to Spring Ridge to attend STEM?

Sorry about the hijack question
they did when my son went there. But that was some years back.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just seems like it would have been better to centrally locate the STEM schools. They are mostly housed in trailers anyway. They could have been put at any school.

Anyways.. sorry for the hijack. Back to the OP

No worries. I believe that Spring Ridge was considered an under performing school on its own.

glhs837

Power with Control
I dont recall STEM being trailers when my kids were in it, but that was a few years back. Most of my kids STEM friends from up north, the parents handled transportation, so many of them worked on base.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Can anyone fill me in on what exactly the STEM program is?

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathamatics. I liked to it in an above post. Another reason it is probably down near PAXR is because the base has people that teach/mentor some of it from the base.

black dog

Free America
I dont recall STEM being trailers when my kids were in it, but that was a few years back. Most of my kids STEM friends from up north, the parents handled transportation, so many of them worked on base.

I don't recall seeing trailers at Chopticon...

Goldenhawk

We chose to homeschool our kids precisely because they were in the Park Hall / Spring Ridge district, and we saw more than a few neighbor kids that were clearly not being taught the very basics. But that decision was 15 years ago, and hopefully it's not as bad now. And we fully realize that not everyone can do homeschooling.