Republican Congressman Boasts About Driving 140 MPH and His Immunity

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.thedrive.com/news/22154/...rizona-state-congressman-boast-about-speeding
Local news agency Parker Live recently obtained information on a police traffic stop involving Arizona 5th district representative Paul Mosley. Around 4:30 p.m., March 27, Mosley's Lexus LS400 was pulled over by a La Paz County Sheriff's Deputy after allegedly weaving through traffic and driving 97 mph in a 55 mph zone.

According to the deputy's police report, Mosley began waving his government identification outside the car, and pleaded with the officer to be let off the hook. "I explained the reason for the stop to Mosley and asked if there was any reason he was traveling so fast. I informed Mosley that 97 mph in a 55 mph zone is considered criminal speed. Mosley stated he was just in a hurry to get home to surprise his family in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Mosley also told me that I should just let him go and that I shouldn’t waste anymore of my time dealing with him due to his immunity as a government official.”

https://youtu.be/wdbZIPusCMw

black dog

Free America
When I was a kid and we had red paper drivers licenses, printing on the back stated driving 25 mph faster than the posted speed limit was a instant revocation of your driver's license. Times change..

Tech

I believe he only has immunity of he is going to Congress.

They are immune to arrest or detention while Congress is in session with the exception to certain crimes. They are not immune to prosecution at a later date.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Can that officer come to MD, and police the speeding here? That would be great. And, why is a county in Arizona named La Paz?

glhs837

Power with Control
They are immune to arrest or detention while Congress is in session with the exception to certain crimes. They are not immune to prosecution at a later date.

I was pretty sure it was just going to and fro.

Congressional immunity refers to a special immunity that is granted to members of Congress. The following are the exemptions granted to the members of Congress under congressional immunity :

1. A Congress member is exempted from arrest while attending a session of the body to which the member belongs, excluding an arrest for treason, breach of the peace, or a felony, or;

2.A Congress member is exempted from arrest or interrogation for any speech or debate entered into during a legislative session.

Looks like it's while in session. Also looks like you can get traffic citations all day, as long as they dont arrest you.

Loved this bit, he says his references to going fast were jokes. Aint buying that for a minute.

“In addition, my jokes about frequently driving over 100 miles per hour during my 3-hour commute to and from the capitol were entirely inappropriate and showed extremely bad judgment on my part, for which I am truly sorry. I have no excuse for any of this, only regret of my actions, a hope for forgiveness and a commitment that it will not happen again.”

Last edited:

Tech

I was pretty sure it was just going to and fro.

Looks like it's while in session. Also looks like you can get traffic citations all day, as long as they dont arrest you.
It basically use to be while traveling to and from, back when Congress only met for a few months a year. It was to prevent one state from harassing the Congress critters of other states when they were passing thru.