SMECO Capital Credit

SamSpade

My SMECO bill is usually either zero - or the normal amount I have for each month (I use the budget plan).

I typically pay very early.

Currently I am showing a credit, and the only thing that makes sense is, they issued me the credit into my account. For reasons I never could guess,
previously the refunds went to my in-laws, who owned the house before me - 15 years ago. Since I never saw them and the amount is small, I
ignored it.

How much did you get? I just want to have an idea if that's what happened.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The former owner of our home, now deceased, received a check for $12. We have owned the house for 4 years and have yet to receive anything.

musiclady

From https://www.smeco.coop/news/capital-credit-refund
All active customer-members will receive a credit on the bill for their primary account.
Each member’s share of the co-op’s margins is based on how much electricity the member purchased and the rate at which the account was billed.

I was trying to see how long you had to be a member before you received credits back. We had a house there for 10 years. I believe it was 5 years before we starting getting anything back. Once we moved, we still received credits back for several years. The credits you get back aren't necessarily from this past year, it's from whatever year they released the funds.
Capital Credits are refunded at the discretion of the Board of Directors whenever the Board determines that the financial condition of the Co-op will not be impaired.

FED_UP

13 bucks and some change credit, first I have ever seen a credit in about 20 years. Good investment on finally getting a new A/C and handler, bill only went up a few dollars last month surprisingly. The other unit had been there since 96.

nutz

13 bucks and some change credit, first I have ever seen a credit in about 20 years. Good investment on finally getting a new A/C and handler, bill only went up a few dollars last month surprisingly. The other unit had been there since 96.

:confused: How is installing new equipment a good investment if your usage bill increased?