Obama goes home......

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
https://wapo.st/2uyFnjM

It’s a joy to be here with family,” he told an invitation-only crowd attending the launch of a vocational center that will be run by his half sister Auma Obama’s nonprofit group. “And to be here with so many who claim to be my family.”
Despite not being born here, Barack Obama is as close as Kenya has to a favorite son. He is far more popular than the country’s politicians. And as a global symbol, he is seen by many Kenyans as proof that greatness is attainable for them, too.
“He is our son,” said Gilbert Ogutu, who is a professor and elder in the Luo ethnic group to which Obama’s father belonged but is not related to Obama. “His blood is our blood.”
The patrilineal Luos expect Obama to follow tradition and spend more time among his father’s people — his people. The love expressed for him by many in Nyang’oma Kogelo is familial — unalloyed and full of expectation.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
he is seen by many Kenyans as proof that greatness is attainable for them, 

Well there is the part where the Kenyan in his life abandoned him at a young age. Might want to include the part where the rearing of said person was left to the caucasian grandparents in order to achieve that greatness.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well there is the part where the Kenyan in his life abandoned him at a young age. Might want to include the part where the rearing of said person was left to the caucasian grandparents in order to achieve that greatness.

And like Colin Kaepernick, they both turned out to be huge douchebags.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And like Colin Kaepernick, they both turned out to be huge douchebags.

The part I find incredulous with both of these people is the fact that given how they were raised, the way they desperately try to embrace their blackness, while ignoring their other side. It's as if they are embarrassed by the people that birthed and raised them.

I get being proud of who you are. But I don't understand the part about despising part of who you are. If you embrace 1 side, why not do the same to the rest of your heritage? Instead they gravitate to the side that abandoned them and cringe at how they were raised.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The part I find incredulous with both of these people is the fact that given how they were raised, the way they desperately try to embrace their blackness, while ignoring their other side. It's as if they are embarrassed by the people that birthed and raised them.

I get being proud of who you are. But I don't understand the part about despising part of who you are. If you embrace 1 side, why not do the same to the rest of your heritage? Instead they gravitate to the side that abandoned them and cringe at how they were raised.

I don't understand it either. I work with 3 bi-racial women. One I know embraces her black side. One embraces her white side and the third, I don't really know. I don't think it much matters. They are all very intelligent women in their own rights and I assume embrace what they know.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The part I find incredulous with both of these people is the fact that given how they were raised, the way they desperately try to embrace their blackness, while ignoring their other side.

Easy: no money in it. If Barack Obama were white, he'd have never gotten the traction to become Senator, let alone President. He is our first (and I hope only) affirmative action president.

Hijinx

I wonder if he can apply for citizenship and then run for President of Kenya?

He wouldn't have to apply
He could probably produce his original Birth certificate from there and prove himself a citizen of Kenya.
He sure wasn't a citizen of the United States.