Plant identification

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Inherited this plant from a friend and it was severely neglected. It is now beginning to thrive as I moved it outside for the summer and regularly water and feed it.

Any idea what it is? And it is pretty big as the top leaves are over four feet tall.

20180716_181428.jpg

20180716_181445.jpg

And sorry they are sideways. Uploaded the pics from my phone and cannot rotate them.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Looks like a magnolia...

Very similar leaves. Did some research based on them and I think it is Ficus Elastica Robusta AKA Rubber Plant.

https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/rubber-plant

The Rubber Plant could be the houseplant for you if you want a tough plant which can reach staggering heights within a few years. While its size can still be tamed some what, you have to keep in mind it will eventually require a certain amount of space.

The common name comes from the "rubber" sap that oozes out of the leaves and woody stems if they are scratched or cut. There is often so much of it, that there is a drip factor which you need to be careful with. Also the milky latex is not particularly pleasant to humans or pets if taken internally and it's an irritant to the eyes and skin so treat it carefully.

rubber-plant.jpg

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Thanks. Just figured it out. I am thrilled it is coming back to life after being not watered and shut in a closet for awhile. The bare stems are now showing little leaves.

They're pretty hardy for a houseplant. I've seen some pretty neglected rubber plants bounce back. <---see what I did there? LOL

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They're pretty hardy for a houseplant. I've seen some pretty neglected rubber plants bounce back. <---see what I did there? LOL

Yes, I got it. :lol: The leaves are a beautiful dark green and glossy on top, with a reddish color underneath. The new leaves come out as a bright scarlet which is so pretty. I am going to leave it on the porch for the summer and see if it gets any more leaves on the bare stems, then repot and prune it in the fall. That pink pot has GOT to go.

The corner of the dining room in front of the sliding door will be its new home when it comes back inside. Lots of bright light so it should be happy there.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes, I got it. :lol: The leaves are a beautiful dark green and glossy on top, with a reddish color underneath. The new leaves come out as a bright scarlet which is so pretty. I am going to leave it on the porch for the summer and see if it gets any more leaves on the bare stems, then repot and prune it in the fall. That pink pot has GOT to go.

The corner of the dining room in front of the sliding door will be its new home when it comes back inside. Lots of bright light so it should be happy there.

Consider it a new piece of furniture that requires regular dusting.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you have an Android phone you might have the Google Lens functionality. When you look at an image from your photos taken on your phone, you would see the pictured icon there with the Share, Edit and other functions you can perform. It's usually pretty good at identifying plants and animals.

Google Lens Icon.jpg

It nailed down this little guy pretty fast.

Frog.jpg

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If you have an Android phone you might have the Google Lens functionality. When you look at an image from your photos taken on your phone, you would see the pictured icon there with the Share, Edit and other functions you can perform. It's usually pretty good at identifying plants and animals.

View attachment 123834

It nailed down this little guy pretty fast.

View attachment 123835

Very cool! Love your little friend, too. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 but sadly I don't see that feature. :ohwell: