Good Goin' Pres.

BuddyLee

Football addict
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush on Monday signed an executive order lifting the remaining U.S. commercial sanctions against Libya after determining the African nation has met all of the U.S. requirements for eliminating its programs on weapons of mass destruction, CNN has learned.

In December Bush announced an agreement between the United States, Britain and Libya for Libya to give up its WMD programs in exchange for the lifting of U.S. sanctions and better relations with the international community.

The officials described the nexus of terrorists and weapons of mass destruction as one of the greatest threats to U.S. national security, and said they hope the decision by Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to voluntarily disarm will be a model for other rogue nations with WMD programs.
:yay:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/09/20/libya.sanctions/index.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is one of those Bush things that makes me wonder WTF he's thinking. Someone will certainly come on here and tell me why it's a good idea to cut a deal with Libya...won't they? Anyone?

Two things that come to mind:

1. During Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh said (paraphrase), "We kill a few of their men, they kill a few more of our men. The difference is that they get tired of it faster."

2. There was some General on O'Reilly last night and he said our problem is we don't have the stomach for war. He said that Arabs respect force, not compassion, and that there's probably no way to avoid a civil war in Iraq.

Will flesh this out later, maybe, but these are just some random things I've been thinking about. I think it's sweet that Bush wants to be all nicey nice, I really do :rolleyes:, but that's not how you deal with these people. And Kerry with all his "sensitivity" is even worse.

B

Bruzilla

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Vrai. I agree with what Bush did. We imposed a group of requirements on Iraq, and they failed to comply. As a result we went in there and took out the regime. We also imposed a group of requirements on Libya, and they fully complied. What should Bush have done... go back and raise the bar higher? That would make us no better than those dictatorships and Middle Eastern types who say if this and this occurs, we'll do that. Then when "this and this" gets done, they start adding new requirements and the "that" never happens.

Libya lived up to its word and the US should live up to ours. We've shown countries what happens when you earn the stick. We should also show countries what happens when you earn the carrot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just don't believe that Ghaddafy (or however you spell his name) has really decided to clean up his act and I don't like making deals with the devil. I'd prefer Bush drop a nuke on Tripoli instead. But I'm suspicious that way.

B

Bruzilla

Just for general purposes I would agree with you. We've seen North Korea, Iran, Iraq, and others going back on their promises, but Libya has been different.

What usually happens is that they agree to one small condition, but then throw up roadblocks for things like searches, or human rights, or other aspects of public policy. Libya's has done everything that's been asked, and hasn't imposed any restrictions. I think that should be rewarded.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
Guess they'll have to change the Marine Hymn now, huh? :ohwell:

:lol:

Why? That line is *history*, about the capture of Derne, in Tripoli. An amazing story of heroism.

SamSpade

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines

B

Bruzilla

SamSpade said:
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines

And you can bet there won't be any trash or cigarette butts on Heaven's streets either because when the Jarheads aren't guarding things they'll be field daying the area. :whip: