"Dancing in the traffic for enforcement" Saturday AM on Rt 235.

glhs837

Power with Control
So anyone else see the enforcemetn happening on Rt 235 SB Saturday AM. Looked to be about 3-5 officers waving down cars into the NAVFED parking lot to get cited. I get that it's a show of force and all, but really, is the perceived effect worth having officers on foot on a major thouroughfare?

Goldenhawk

So anyone else see the enforcemetn happening on Rt 235 SB Saturday AM. Looked to be about 3-5 officers waving down cars into the NAVFED parking lot to get cited. I get that it's a show of force and all, but really, is the perceived effect worth having officers on foot on a major thouroughfare?

They do that on Great Mills Road fairly often. Seems VERY effective to me - they can pull over far more cars in a row, and make a big point in a very short time.

Goldenhawk

I guess I should also say this: VERY few people go more than 9 over the speed limit coming down the Great Mills Road hill into central Lex Park, because we've all routinely seen these enforcement efforts. Partly, it's because I know that it's NOT a certainty that just because the guy in front of me is speeding, I won't get pulled over too. Having a "rabbit" ahead of you doesn't work when they can wave over five cars in a row.

Contrast that with 235, where 15+ over the limit is fairly routine.

So I'd say that's proof that this kind of enforcement DOES work.

glhs837

Power with Control
They do that on Great Mills Road fairly often. Seems VERY effective to me - they can pull over far more cars in a row, and make a big point in a very short time.

What they do on GMR is a bit different. Nobody is out in the middle of the road. One trooper steps into the lane to wave you in. On 235, I think there were three officers, one in the median, and two more actually out in the roadway. And I really dont think that the amount of people going more than 9 over is any different on GMR becuase of that, it's more of a percieved safe speed thing. Going more than 45 on GMR, where it's contant traffic coming from both sides, not the same as going more than 55 on Rt 235.

At the end of it, people are not crashing in either of the places becuase of speed. It's idiots failing to yield.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

They quit doing that for a long time because of an incident.

Maryland State Police, Maryland Transportation Authority Police and law enforcement agencies in Anne Arundel and Howard counties have largely suspended the practice that involves officers stepping out of their cars to wave down and stop cars.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/30/AR2007063000770.html

Goldenhawk

Yes, it's been state troopers on GMR.

I would dispute that most of the accidents lately have to do with speed. It's more all the people looking down at their phones for half the drive. A huge fraction of the accidents lately have been single car, or if dual car then caused by one car drifting into oncoming traffic.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I guess enough LEOs haven’t been killed yet with this stunt. “Deputy First Class Bob Memorial speed bump”

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They have been doing this for years. I was flagged at Rt 4/235 NB back in the 90's. I won in Court.

black dog

Free America
I guess enough LEOs haven’t been killed yet with this stunt. “Deputy First Class Bob Memorial speed bump”

I remember as a kid seeing State Troopers walk out in traffic of the DC beltway and 270 to point at cars that needed to pull over. It always made me wonder who invented that death defying act.