Fried green tomatoes

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My neighbor's tomato plant collapsed with all the heavy rain, so he gave all the green tomatoes to me. I love fried green tomatoes but not all the oil they absorb. Found a good recipe for oven-baked fried green tomatoes and they turned out awesome! I did add a little garlic powder and a pinch more cayenne to zip them up. :yum:

Oven-Baked Fried Green Tomatoes

Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 4 slices | Calories: 250 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 549mg | Carbohydrates: 28g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints: 8

Ingredients

4 medium green tomatoes, sliced about 1/4-inch thin
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 eggs, beaten

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooking rack on top.
  • Mix olive oil with panko in a bowl. Add cornmeal, parmesan, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, stirring well to combine, and spread mixture in an even layer on a plate.
  • Dip tomato slices in eggs, letting any excess mixture drip back into the bowl, then press into the breading mixture on both sides to coat and carefully lay on the baking sheet. Repeat with all slices.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, turn over and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
  • Enjoy hot and crispy!

https://skinnyms.com/oven-baked-fried-green-tomatoes/

20180722_213518.jpg

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bacon grease has salt????????

Just a tad.

Nutrition Facts
Bacon grease - 1 tbsp
Servings:

Calories 574 Sodium 2,030 mg
Total Fat 25 g Potassium 303 mg
Saturated 7 g Total Carbs 50 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 9 g
Trans 0 g Protein 23 g
Cholesterol 70 mg
Vitamin A 31% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 66% Iron 16%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/bacon-grease-1-tbsp-89552206

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No kidding and they are some fried goodness. Trying to cut out some of the fats and salt out of my diet hence using this recipe instead.

Salt is not the problem. "Table" salt is the problem. I read an article about table salt causing damage to our arteries (tears), and when the body tries to patch it up, we get build up. Sea salt or Himalayan does not cause the tears. I use pink Himalayan. I don't even have regular table salt in my house anymore. Our bodies need salt. Also, try lard instead of bacon grease. Almost as good. I find that lard gives some foods more of a buttery taste than butter does. The major culprit in our diets is sugar. It's packed into almost everything we eat.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Salt is not the problem. "Table" salt is the problem. I read an article about table salt causing damage to our arteries (tears), and when the body tries to patch it up, we get build up. Sea salt or Himalayan does not cause the tears. I use pink Himalayan. I don't even have regular table salt in my house anymore. Our bodies need salt. Also, try lard instead of bacon grease. Almost as good. I find that lard gives some foods more of a buttery taste than butter does. The major culprit in our diets is sugar. It's packed into almost everything we eat.

Interesting about the salt as I have never heard that. By choice I use sea salt (fresh ground) in my cooking if I add any salt and then it's only a little. I will look for lard and try that. I only use butter, olive oil, and canola oil right now.

And I have really started scrutinizing labels again and the amount of sugar added to most is insane, so I am in the process of weeding it out of my diet.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Interesting about the salt as I have never heard that. By choice I use sea salt (fresh ground) in my cooking if I add any salt and then it's only a little. I will look for lard and try that. I only use butter, olive oil, and canola oil right now.

And I have really started scrutinizing labels again and the amount of sugar added to most is insane, so I am in the process of weeding it out of my diet.

Also do some research on cooking with olive oil. They used to say it was good for cooking, and I used it for years. Now they're saying that the chemical make up changes when heated, making it not so good for you. The only thing I cook with is butter, lard, or bacon grease. I've even made my own lard. I'm out, need to make another run to the butcher shop, which is in the middle of nowhere in these parts.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Also do some research on cooking with olive oil. They used to say it was good for cooking, and I used it for years. Now they're saying that the chemical make up changes when heated, making it not so good for you. The only thing I cook with is butter, lard, or bacon grease. I've even made my own lard. I'm out, need to make another run to the butcher shop, which is in the middle of nowhere in these parts.

Isn't everything in the middle of nowhere where you are now? :lol: I'll look into the olive oil thing. I use it occasionally in cooking but more for salad dressings.

black dog

Free America

As a kid during butcher time we cubed fat until after lunch and then stired the caldrens until it was time to press the lard. Hot stuff for sure. But fresh hot cracklins are the Shizzle.. That was the reward for the slave labor...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Salt is not the problem. "Table" salt is the problem. I read an article about table salt causing damage to our arteries (tears), and when the body tries to patch it up, we get build up. Sea salt or Himalayan does not cause the tears. I use pink Himalayan. I don't even have regular table salt in my house anymore. Our bodies need salt.

I bought a big salt grinder of the Himalayan pink sea salt last week and love it! My next favorite is the smoked sea salt grinder.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It's also more fun to use. PINK!

True. :lol: They also had black, which was more of a grayish color, that I didn't get before I researched the difference. I just did and read this blurb:

Indian black salt, or kala namak, is an Indian volcanic rock salt. It is known by many names including Himalayan black salt, sulemani namak, and kala loon. It is commonly used in Pakistan, India and other Asian countries. It starts out as Himalayan Pink Salt or sodium chloride and is then heated to extremely high temperatures and mixed with Indian spices and herbs including the seeds of the harad fruit which contains sulfur. It also contains trace impurities of sulfates, sulfides, iron and magnesium which all contribute to the salt’s color, smell and taste.

Kala namak has a very distinctive smell. The sulfur compounds cause the salt to smell like hard-boiled or rotten eggs. In my experience, the salt has very little odor in the jar. It is only when it is added to food that the smell becomes apparent. The smell is very strong at first but then disappears and the finished dish does not smell like rotten eggs at all.

Indian black salt also has a distinctive taste due to the sulfur. The taste has been described as comparable to hard-boiled egg yolks. It has a savory, umami taste and is often used in egg-free dishes to give them flavor reminiscent of eggs.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/everything-you-need-to-about-black-salt/

Interesting but would try a small amount first before I committed to it. :geek:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
True. :lol: They also had black, which was more of a grayish color, that I didn't get before I researched the difference. I just did and read this blurb:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/everything-you-need-to-about-black-salt/

Interesting but would try a small amount first before I committed to it. :geek:

I've also read recently that even sea salt has been bleached, but I need to do more research on that. I don't use it, but I'd still like to know, so if that's all I have available to me.