Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fried green tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Also do some research on cooking with olive oil. They used to say it was good for cooking, and I used it for years. Now they're saying that the chemical make up changes when heated, making it not so good for you. The only thing I cook with is butter, lard, or bacon grease. I've even made my own lard. I'm out, need to make another run to the butcher shop, which is in the middle of nowhere in these parts.
    As a kid during butcher time we cubed fat until after lunch and then stired the caldrens until it was time to press the lard. Hot stuff for sure. But fresh hot cracklins are the Shizzle.. That was the reward for the slave labor...
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Salt is not the problem. "Table" salt is the problem. I read an article about table salt causing damage to our arteries (tears), and when the body tries to patch it up, we get build up. Sea salt or Himalayan does not cause the tears. I use pink Himalayan. I don't even have regular table salt in my house anymore. Our bodies need salt.
    I bought a big salt grinder of the Himalayan pink sea salt last week and love it! My next favorite is the smoked sea salt grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    I bought a big salt grinder of the Himalayan pink sea salt last week and love it! My next favorite is the smoked sea salt grinder.
    It's also more fun to use. PINK!
    Je suis prest

It's also more fun to use. PINK!
    True. They also had black, which was more of a grayish color, that I didn't get before I researched the difference. I just did and read this blurb:

Indian black salt, or kala namak, is an Indian volcanic rock salt. It is known by many names including Himalayan black salt, sulemani namak, and kala loon. It is commonly used in Pakistan, India and other Asian countries. It starts out as Himalayan Pink Salt or sodium chloride and is then heated to extremely high temperatures and mixed with Indian spices and herbs including the seeds of the harad fruit which contains sulfur. It also contains trace impurities of sulfates, sulfides, iron and magnesium which all contribute to the saltís color, smell and taste.

Kala namak has a very distinctive smell. The sulfur compounds cause the salt to smell like hard-boiled or rotten eggs. In my experience, the salt has very little odor in the jar. It is only when it is added to food that the smell becomes apparent. The smell is very strong at first but then disappears and the finished dish does not smell like rotten eggs at all.

Indian black salt also has a distinctive taste due to the sulfur. The taste has been described as comparable to hard-boiled egg yolks. It has a savory, umami taste and is often used in egg-free dishes to give them flavor reminiscent of eggs.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...ut-black-salt/

Interesting but would try a small amount first before I committed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz lady View Post
    True. They also had black, which was more of a grayish color, that I didn't get before I researched the difference. I just did and read this blurb:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-...ut-black-salt/

Interesting but would try a small amount first before I committed to it.
    I've also read recently that even sea salt has been bleached, but I need to do more research on that. I don't use it, but I'd still like to know, so if that's all I have available to me.
    Je suis prest

Members who have read this thread: 48