Looking for a Woodshop or person

teve

Hi,

I have 2 pieces of wood boards about 21 inches wide that needs to be sanded in a large drum sander. Do you know a place where I can get it done?

black dog

Free America
Hi,

I have 2 pieces of wood boards about 21 inches wide that needs to be sanded in a large drum sander. Do you know a place where I can get it done?

I know Annapolis Hardwoods had a 36" belt sander, but I believe that are out of business now. I would call The exotic wood supplier on Whitehall Rd in Annapolis near 50 and the Bay bridge. Also look at the woodworkers guilds around MD.
Maybe Schoenbauer Furniture in Charlotte Hall has one or can point you in the right direction to one.

teve

I know Annapolis Hardwoods had a 36" belt sander, but I believe that are out of business now. I would call The exotic wood supplier on Whitehall Rd in Annapolis near 50 and the Bay bridge. Also look at the woodworkers guilds around MD.
Maybe Schoenbauer Furniture in Charlotte Hall has one or can point you in the right direction to one.

Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot. I just called the exotic wood supplier on Whitehall Rd in Annapolis they have the equipment but they can't do it unless I bought the wood from them.

Last edited:

Jeter3000

Thank you very much. I'll give it a shot. I just called the exotic wood supplier on Whitehall Rd in Annapolis they have the equipment but they can't do it unless I bought the wood from them.
What about the Amish/ Mennonite Community in Charlotte Hall/Mechanicsville area? I want to say their name if Stauffer's, but I could be wrong. Someone out there in SOMD land should know the specifics. I know that there is a sawmill located off of Bishop or Friendship school Road. Wish I could be more help, but I hope that I steered you in the right direction. Good luck.

Goldenhawk

I can highly recommend Kurtz's Cabinet Shop, 13860-A Ryceville Road, Mechanicsville MD 20659.

In late 2017 I built a matched pair of very large wardrobes, and he supplied the rough maple lumber and also built the door panel boards for me, sanding them to the desired thickness. While I did all the rest of the work shaping and assembling the doors, I didn't have any way to build and smooth the necessary 24-inch wide solid boards. He was able to do that work for me on his wide power sander. I paid him about $180 to make me 8 panels about 24x36 each.

A word of advice: When dealing with the Amish community you have to be patient sometimes. And of course you can't just call or email them; it requires stopping by to order then pick up the job. But they invariably do very high quality work.
wardrobe.jpg

teve

What about the Amish/ Mennonite Community in Charlotte Hall/Mechanicsville area? I want to say their name if Stauffer's, but I could be wrong. Someone out there in SOMD land should know the specifics. I know that there is a sawmill located off of Bishop or Friendship school Road. Wish I could be more help, but I hope that I steered you in the right direction. Good luck.

That was my initial idea, however since most Amish/ Mennonite craftsman cannot be found via Google. I am here for some ideas.

RodRugg

Here's some that I can say:

Woodshucker's in Loveville - My grandma needed some coyotes made out of wood to keep the neighbor's goat out of her vegetables. That guy at Woodshucker's said she should get wolfs because she would need less of them to scare a goat and they would also be good for scaring whisper badgers, mountain lions, buffaloes, and coyotes. He made them things out of a single sheet of plywood and they was four feet tall and eight feet long. She put two of them in the yard and nothing ever ate her vegetables again except us and birds. He has a machine he calls the widowmaker that cuts, sands, and shoots out wood in any shape you want and can do words like "Keep Out" or "Back Off" or "E Pluribus Unum."

David in his backyard - This is not a business or a place. This is just a guy named David that likes to sculpture wood in his backyard. He lives off of that road in Mechanicsville with all them wood sculptures. He has a device he made out of 15 belt sanders strapped together and he sets it loose on a piece of wood to make it entirely smooth. Also he shapes tree stumps into stuff with chainsaws and can make things like the Last Supper, fistfighters, 9/11 memorials, and the Eagle of America attacking a bankrobber. He made my grandma a pack of coyotes to keep the neighbor kids away from her Chrysler and some stuff for her church's Christmas manger including one Jesus baby, three donkeys, some doves, and four coyotes.

Billy's Woodschool - This IS a business AND its a school for people to come and learn about making stuff out of wood. He mostly makes fake Civil War weapons like muskets, guard dogs, clubs, canon balls, rockets, etc. His students make their own weapons and sometimes fight each other in a friendly way at lunch in the back or out front when it's raining. Also he has a machine for sanding wood that will hold eight people laying four wide and two high or a dead deer laying crossways. It's not for people or animals but he just has pictures of the deer on the machine to show how big that machine is and of people laying next to the deer to show how big the deer is that's all. He made my grandma some fake clubs to scare away the neighbor kids.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Woodshucker's in Loveville - My grandma needed some coyotes made out of wood to keep the neighbor's goat out of her vegetables. That guy at Woodshucker's said she should get wolfs because she would need less of them to scare a goat and they would also be good for scaring whisper badgers, mountain lions, buffaloes, and coyotes. He made them things out of a single sheet of plywood and they was four feet tall and eight feet long. She put two of them in the yard and nothing ever ate her vegetables again except us and birds. He has a machine he calls the widowmaker that cuts, sands, and shoots out wood in any shape you want and can do words like "Keep Out" or "Back Off" or "E Pluribus Unum."

David in his backyard - This is not a business or a place. This is just a guy named David that likes to sculpture wood in his backyard. He lives off of that road in Mechanicsville with all them wood sculptures. He has a device he made out of 15 belt sanders strapped together and he sets it loose on a piece of wood to make it entirely smooth. Also he shapes tree stumps into stuff with chainsaws and can make things like the Last Supper, fistfighters, 9/11 memorials, and the Eagle of America attacking a bankrobber. He made my grandma a pack of coyotes to keep the neighbor kids away from her Chrysler and some stuff for her church's Christmas manger including one Jesus baby, three donkeys, some doves, and four coyotes.

Billy's Woodschool - This IS a business AND its a school for people to come and learn about making stuff out of wood. He mostly makes fake Civil War weapons like muskets, guard dogs, clubs, canon balls, rockets, etc. His students make their own weapons and sometimes fight each other in a friendly way at lunch in the back or out front when it's raining. Also he has a machine for sanding wood that will hold eight people laying four wide and two high or a dead deer laying crossways. It's not for people or animals but he just has pictures of the deer on the machine to show how big that machine is and of people laying next to the deer to show how big the deer is that's all. He made my grandma some fake clubs to scare away the neighbor kids.

Very helpful! :lmao:

teve

Thank you very much for this info. Can you tell me where "Billy's Woodschool" is located. I can't seem to find it on Google.

I've used Ship Shape Carpentry for some custom woodwork, maybe he could help.

Bob Thompson
443-975-3050

BOP

I can highly recommend Kurtz's Cabinet Shop, 13860-A Ryceville Road, Mechanicsville MD 20659.

In late 2017 I built a matched pair of very large wardrobes, and he supplied the rough maple lumber and also built the door panel boards for me, sanding them to the desired thickness. While I did all the rest of the work shaping and assembling the doors, I didn't have any way to build and smooth the necessary 24-inch wide solid boards. He was able to do that work for me on his wide power sander. I paid him about $180 to make me 8 panels about 24x36 each.

A word of advice: When dealing with the Amish community you have to be patient sometimes. And of course you can't just call or email them; it requires stopping by to order then pick up the job. But they invariably do very high quality work.
View attachment 123881
Nice. I am curious about the lighting.

Goldenhawk

Nice. I am curious about the lighting.
I used inexpensive but bright LED strips from Amazon, along with some small switches, one on each door. If either door is opened, the lights in that section (upper or lower) come on. It used typical bell wire, with fasteners and some hot glue to hold the strips and wire in place. I used standard 5.5mm plugs so the power supply could be disconnected easily, and so the top and bottom half of the wardrobe could easily be separated (it was way too tall to build as one piece and get up the stairs).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ0M9SQ (light strips, $8 each)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHPD22S (microswitch)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKSI0S8 (power supply)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ER6QWAY (plugs and sockets)

SandieGarry

Dean Lumber, Mervel Dean Rd, Hollywood< Md. 301-373-2111. We have a 36" wide sander. Call and ask for Mike Sherman, he will quote you our shop rate.