1 Kings 6 Construction Completed

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 6:11 The word of the Lord came to Solomon: 12 “As for this temple you are building, if you follow my decrees, observe my laws and keep all my commands and obey them, I will fulfill through you the promise I gave to David your father. 13 And I will live among the Israelites and will not abandon my people Israel.”

14 So Solomon built the temple and completed it. 15 He lined its interior walls with cedar boards, paneling them from the floor of the temple to the ceiling, and covered the floor of the temple with planks of juniper. 16 He partitioned off twenty cubits at the rear of the temple with cedar boards from floor to ceiling to form within the temple an inner sanctuary, the Most Holy Place. 17 The main hall in front of this room was forty cubits long. 18 The inside of the temple was cedar, carved with gourds and open flowers. Everything was cedar; no stone was to be seen.

19 He prepared the inner sanctuary within the temple to set the ark of the covenant of the Lord there. 20 The inner sanctuary was twenty cubits long, twenty wide and twenty high. He overlaid the inside with pure gold, and he also overlaid the altar of cedar. 21 Solomon covered the inside of the temple with pure gold, and he extended gold chains across the front of the inner sanctuary, which was overlaid with gold. 22 So he overlaid the whole interior with gold. He also overlaid with gold the altar that belonged to the inner sanctuary.

23 For the inner sanctuary he made a pair of cherubim out of olive wood, each ten cubits high. 24 One wing of the first cherub was five cubits long, and the other wing five cubits—ten cubits from wing tip to wing tip. 25 The second cherub also measured ten cubits, for the two cherubim were identical in size and shape. 26 The height of each cherub was ten cubits. 27 He placed the cherubim inside the innermost room of the temple, with their wings spread out. The wing of one cherub touched one wall, while the wing of the other touched the other wall, and their wings touched each other in the middle of the room. 28 He overlaid the cherubim with gold.

29 On the walls all around the temple, in both the inner and outer rooms, he carved cherubim, palm trees and open flowers. 30 He also covered the floors of both the inner and outer rooms of the temple with gold.

31 For the entrance to the inner sanctuary he made doors out of olive wood that were one fifth of the width of the sanctuary. 32 And on the two olive-wood doors he carved cherubim, palm trees and open flowers, and overlaid the cherubim and palm trees with hammered gold. 33 In the same way, for the entrance to the main hall he made doorframes out of olive wood that were one fourth of the width of the hall. 34 He also made two doors out of juniper wood, each having two leaves that turned in sockets. 35 He carved cherubim, palm trees and open flowers on them and overlaid them with gold hammered evenly over the carvings.

36 And he built the inner courtyard of three courses of dressed stone and one course of trimmed cedar beams.

37 The foundation of the temple of the Lord was laid in the fourth year, in the month of Ziv. 38 In the eleventh year in the month of Bul, the eighth month, the temple was finished in all its details according to its specifications. He had spent seven years building it.

i. 1 Kings 6:17 That is, about 60 feet or about 18 meters

This is from the easy English site.

God encouraged Solomon to finish the work. He promised Solomon that he would be present with the Israelites. And God referred to his promise to David. David’s family would always rule Israel, if they continued to obey him. And that would be God’s promise to Solomon too, if Solomon continued to obey God. The splendid building that Solomon made could not impress God. What mattered to God was the attitude of Solomon’s heart. And if Solomon obeyed God’s law, God would support Solomon and his kingdom.

Solomon covered the building with cedar wood. He covered the most holy place with gold. It contained the box of the Lord’s covenant which Moses had made. Inside the box were the stones of the 10 commandments.

The angels were like guards for the Covenant Box. They were half of the height of the room. The room was 30 feet (9 metres) high. There were carvings of angels, trees and flowers on the walls. They were like pictures of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:8). God sent people out of Eden because of their sin. They could only come near to God if he forgave their sin. The most holy place was the place where they offered sacrifices for sin.

This is from GodVine.

In the eleventh year - was the house finished - It is rather strange that this house required seven years and about six months to put all the stones and the timbers in their places, for we have already seen that they were all prepared before they came to Jerusalem; but the ornamenting, gilding, or overlaying with gold, making the carved work, cherubim, trees, flowers, etc., must have consumed a considerable time. The month Bul answers to a part of our October and November, as Zif, in which it was begun, answers to a part of April and May.

The dedication did not take place till the following year, the twelfth of Solomon, because then, according to Archbishop Usher, the jubilee happened.

So was he seven years in building it - Properly seven years and six months; but the Scripture generally expresses things in round numbers.

I got a little confused when I read verses 37 and 38. It says that the foundation was laid in the fourth year and the temple was finished in the 11th year.... but all the commentaries say it took 7 years to build. Coincidentally, 11-4=7. So... now I see that the foundation was laid in the fourth year of the reign of king Solomon.... added a few words there... but it has to be right. They finished it in the 11th year of the reign of king Solomon. Seven Years.... I got it now.

Did you see the height on those Angels? The walls were 30' tall so those angels were 15' tall and their outstretched wings had to be massive. All the walls were hand carved. I guess it's safe to say they were very ornate. They didn't have swiffers or endust back then.... I wonder how they kept The Lord's house clean. Can you imagine?

Finally, it's important to note the promise. God told Solomon that if he behaved himself, he would receive David's blessing. This is from GodVine.

The promises made to David were:

(1) that he should be succeeded by one of his sons 2 Samuel 7:12; Psalm 132:11;

(2) that the kingdom should be established in the line of his descendants forever, if they were faithful Psalm 132:12; and

(3) that the Israelites should be no more afficted as beforetime 2 Samuel 7:10.​

These promises are now confirmed to Solomon, but on the express condition of obedience, and two further promises are added.​

So... seven years later.....I see that it's still a Theocracy with a king. Everything will go well with the king if the king remembers... it's a Theocracy. A Theocracy is better than a kingdom. Right?

:coffee: