Beets

frequentflier

happy to be living
Last week, I stopped at Chesapeake Bounty and picked up some fresh beets, came home and googled recipes. Having been an impulse buy, I had no idea what to do with them. Caught a greek salad recipe that I happened to have all the ingredients for (feta, Kalamata olives, cuke, avocado, red onion, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and olive oil) It was ok, I ate it, I probably went too heavy on the vinegar and oil as it was soggy.

I mixed the other half of the beets with cuke and red onion and a small amount of vinegar, salt and pepper.

Anyone want to share what you do with beets? Looking for suggestions since I bought more :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Roasted and seasoned with a little salt, pepper and butter.

^This^ So yummy! I like the golden beets the best but haven't seen them around for awhile.

Beet greens are also delicious. Treat them like other greens and fry them up with bacon, onion, garlic, and seasonings (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes). Squirt a little lemon juice on them when done. :yum:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chocolate Beet Cake. AKA Red Velvet. Sadly, nobody uses beets anymore, but that's where Red Velvet cake originated.

frequentflier

happy to be living
^This^ So yummy! I like the golden beets the best but haven't seen them around for awhile.

Beet greens are also delicious. Treat them like other greens and fry them up with bacon, onion, garlic, and seasonings (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes). Squirt a little lemon juice on them when done. :yum:

The ones form CB did not have the greens but the organic ones I got at Weis in Solomons had some of the tops on them. I picked up a bag of spinach and sauteed them with some bacon, onion, garlic and a little vinegar and will enjoy with dinner tonight.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Last week, I stopped at Chesapeake Bounty and picked up some fresh beets, came home and googled recipes. Having been an impulse buy, I had no idea what to do with them. Caught a greek salad recipe that I happened to have all the ingredients for (feta, Kalamata olives, cuke, avocado, red onion, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and olive oil) It was ok, I ate it, I probably went too heavy on the vinegar and oil as it was soggy.

I mixed the other half of the beets with cuke and red onion and a small amount of vinegar, salt and pepper.

Anyone want to share what you do with beets? Looking for suggestions since I bought more :lmao:

It may have been the feta. Domestic is :barf:

I have been spoiled with the imported from Greece. But, you have to make a trip to Prima Foods in Baltimore for it. :lol:

nobody really

I need a nap
Chesapeake bounty up in north beach had gold beets. I love them. Good for your brain cells.

I put them in a crock pot, wrapped in aluminum foil with olive oil and s&P. delish.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The only time I ever see them is at Whole Foods.

That's a long way to go for just beets, but if I'm in the area I will check.

There is a variety of white beets too.

I grew some of few years ago. They're a bit milder.

I used to grow the golden beets and never knew there were white varieties. Good to know!

Chesapeake bounty up in north beach had gold beets. I love them. Good for your brain cells.

I put them in a crock pot, wrapped in aluminum foil with olive oil and s&P. delish.

Thanks! Maybe the one in St. Leonard has them, too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know....with that growing reputation,...I can't figure out by restaurants rarely offer them in the veggie section or up at the salad bar! (If you hit AMISH country...they WILL have them!)

More and more I'm finding restaurants that are more creative with their veggies than the standard "vegetable medley" that's been sitting in a steam table all day and reduced to slimy zucchini mush. Crispy Brussel sprouts are becoming more common, and also steamed asparagus. A couple of times I've even seen roasted root vegetables offered.

When the server tells me that the vegetable of the day is "vegetable medley", I've learned to ask what specifically that means instead of immediately rejecting it. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's a long way to go for just beets, but if I'm in the area I will check.

I used to grow the golden beets and never knew there were white varieties. Good to know!

Thanks! Maybe the one in St. Leonard has them, too.

Have you looked at Harriet's Titties?