Locksmith that will program car key?

Anyone know of a locksmith that will program a car key with a chip? I’ve called D&L but they don’t do it. I can take it to the dealer but trying to save a few bucks. I have the original that’s already programmed, just trying to get a spare done.

TIA

black dog

Free America
I believe that depending on the key, the local Ace hardware stores can do it.
And I mean the Leonardtown and Charlotte Hall stores.

glhs837

Power with Control
Anyone know of a locksmith that will program a car key with a chip? I’ve called D&L but they don’t do it. I can take it to the dealer but trying to save a few bucks. I have the original that’s already programmed, just trying to get a spare done.

TIA

Going to depend on the car. Some, you simply cannot get done elsewhere, my BMWs are that way, went to dealership, gave them VIN and proof of ownership and they mail the key back to you. Wife just got one of the fobs for her Jeep replaced under the Maxcare warranty. Would have been over $300 bucks otherwise.

party301

i'll think of one.....
The ACE Hardware store down in Ridge can do them.

TIA

Goldenhawk

There are many cars that you can program the key yourself byfollowing a complicated set of steps. There's often a "backdoor" method other than using the fancy computer. Search carefully on YouTube and you might luck out. I have done it a few times on my 2008 Toyota, 2014 Honda and 2005 Chrysler, and haven't yet been forced to pay someone else.

Goldenhawk

There are many cars that you can program the key yourself byfollowing a complicated set of steps. There's often a "backdoor" method other than using the fancy computer. Search carefully on YouTube and you might luck out. I have done it a few times on my 2008 Toyota, 2014 Honda and 2005 Chrysler, and haven't yet been forced to pay someone else.

Witness the Prius Chicken Dance... seriously, that's what the key-programming routine is called, thanks to the door open/close/open/close/open/close/open/close...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAuYVsokC5o

glhs837

Power with Control

I'm most familiar with the Dodge and Chrysler system, SKIS, that requires you to have two good keys. I sort of figured that most systems that allowed self programming would do that.

FED_UP

My car manual says how to set it if I ever get another key, been with one key for many years. I had another key made with ou the FOB to get in the car. Tested it one day and the door openend, so I got bold and put it in the ignition and the car started for a few second then it cut off on its own. I was like oh shiet did I mess something up. I put the one original key in the car, turned it and nothing happend. I turned it again and the car started, well at least I know if I lock the original key in the car I can get the door open.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Some places will not do a key you bring in, don't want to liability of possible ruining something they did not sell.

glhs837

Power with Control
My car manual says how to set it if I ever get another key, been with one key for many years. I had another key made with ou the FOB to get in the car. Tested it one day and the door openend, so I got bold and put it in the ignition and the car started for a few second then it cut off on its own. I was like oh shiet did I mess something up. I put the one original key in the car, turned it and nothing happend. I turned it again and the car started, well at least I know if I lock the original key in the car I can get the door open.

Man, if it's a Dodge or Chrysler car past say 2003, you were playing with fire. Short version is that that system, the SKIS, if you go for a fourth start without the proper response, will lock down the vehicles engine computer (PCM) such that you need to tow it to a dealer to unlock it. That 2-3 second run time is the time the system requires to run the checks to validate the key. If the key fails, it shuts down. I tested it once myself, both by taking the fob off the key and wrapping the fob part of the key in tin foil to isolate it.

FED_UP

Man, if it's a Dodge or Chrysler car past say 2003, you were playing with fire. Short version is that that system, the SKIS, if you go for a fourth start without the proper response, will lock down the vehicles engine computer (PCM) such that you need to tow it to a dealer to unlock it. That 2-3 second run time is the time the system requires to run the checks to validate the key. If the key fails, it shuts down. I tested it once myself, both by taking the fob off the key and wrapping the fob part of the key in tin foil to isolate it.

I learned a lesson that day, at least it was not an expensive one.

glhs837

Power with Control
A few of our SRT-4 Neon owners found out about that the hard way. A popular upgrade was the Mopar Stage One upgrade PCM. When you bought it, they would have it programmed with your VIN before sending it to you. Well, folks wanted to sell used ones. and some folks, like myself got ones with the wrong VIN. So after two tries, if it didnt stay runnning, you had to stop and get that programming done. A couple guys didnt listen and pushed through....

mdff21

Dunkirk Do It Best Hardware behind the Walmart does them. I had one for my Dodge done there about 5 years ago and just had another one done about a month ago.

tipsymcgee

Ace said they could do one for my Dodge pickup, but it would only work the ignition and not the electronic buttons. Luckily I found the key the next day. Also, call ahead. They tell you on the phone they can do em, but when you get there and go to counter theyll say that's a special machine and he's not here today.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I assumed Lowe’s could cut them but didn’t realize they also had the means they program. Good to know, thanks.

Lowe's has about 9 or 10 programmable blanks available, most popular makes and models only.
We can only do keys we sell. Cannot do blanks brought from outside due to liability, plus Lowe's is not a licensed locksmith.
Been that way the entire 15 years 10 months I've worked for Lowe's.

calvcopf

Lowe's has about 9 or 10 programmable blanks available, most popular makes and models only.
We can only do keys we sell. Cannot do blanks brought from outside due to liability, plus Lowe's is not a licensed locksmith.
Been that way the entire 15 years 10 months I've worked for Lowe's.
Ace Hardware in Lusby can do it no problem! They have the same type of key machine. They can cut keys and program most keys and fob/remotes. Employees at ACE are also super helpful and friendly.

Just another example of how sorry this Lowes is.

Last edited: