Gross foods by state

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I tried to explain to my step-sister, raised and still lives in Arizona, the nirvana that stuffed ham is. Her "you have GOT to be kidding me" reply followed by retching sounds still makes me laugh. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm not sure why they attribute "Boiled Peanuts" to Florida.

In my travels it was Georgia that seemed to have a roadside stand every 5 miles.

Grumpy

Reading sites like that make me get an overwhelming desire to search out the author and throatpunch the pompous little azz.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"To be fair, this is kind of Southern MD's fault, which any Marylander will tell you is Here There Be Dragons territory anyway".

:lol:

I love stuffed ham. First time I saw it, I was like....:twitch:. But after I tasted it I was a fan.

My home state's gross food is the Hot Beef Sundae, according to that slideshow. I've never heard it called that, but mashed potatoes with beef and gravy on top is DELICIOUS. If you want gross, try the turkey fries or the pickled pigs feet.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They smacked Mississippi for some kind of Kool-Aid infused Pickle. :twitch:

I can't imagine what could have inspired that idea.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
First time I took stuffed ham to the family up north, everyone liked it. I didn't try to 'sell' it. I just added it to the other food offerings. If anyone asked, I told them what it was. Turns out it was a big hit.

limblips

PREMO Member
:lol:

I love stuffed ham. First time I saw it, I was like....:twitch:. But after I tasted it I was a fan.

My home state's gross food is the Hot Beef Sundae, according to that slideshow. I've never heard it called that, but mashed potatoes with beef and gravy on top is DELICIOUS. If you want gross, try the turkey fries or the pickled pigs feet.

I made a trip to Iowa once. There was a glass jar behind the bar. Pickled turkey gizzards. Yes I tried one, couldn't choke it down. Another one I have seen in Food Lion was Pork Brains in Milk Gravy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I made a trip to Iowa once. There was a glass jar behind the bar. Pickled turkey gizzards. Yes I tried one, couldn't choke it down. Another one I have seen in Food Lion was Pork Brains in Milk Gravy.

If anything will make you barf, it's pork brains in milk gravy. Urk. But it was very popular with older people when I was growing up. Calf brains, too.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The "Boston Baked Bean" picture looks more like boiled beans...

Baked beans were a staple food growing up along with brown bread and codfish cakes.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My home state's gross food is the Hot Beef Sundae, according to that slideshow. I've never heard it called that, but mashed potatoes with beef and gravy on top is DELICIOUS.

My mom (and now I do) make a dish she called "Scottish Collops" which is basically that - either sliced or minced beef in a gravy served over mashed potatoes. Great comfort food.

If you want gross, try the turkey fries or the pickled pigs feet.

Knew what pickled pigs feet are :barf: but had to look up turkey fries. :barf: :barf: :barf:

kerf

A favorite of mine growing up in Virginia was pork pudding. It looked like a gray sausage, shaped like a horse shoe. Mom would slice it into 1 inch sections and fry it in a cast iron skillet. When it fried it would disintegrate into a loose mush, and we would eat it steaming hot over slices of white Wonder Bread. We couldn't get enough of it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've had a good number of these and liked most of them, nut they weren't from the states that he has them associated with.