1 Kings 8 Promise kept

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 8:22Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in front of the whole assembly of Israel, spread out his hands toward heaven 23 and said:

“Lord, the God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or on earth below—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way. 24 You have kept your promise to your servant David my father; with your mouth you have promised and with your hand you have fulfilled it—as it is today.

25 “Now Lord, the God of Israel, keep for your servant David my father the promises you made to him when you said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to sit before me on the throne of Israel, if only your descendants are careful in all they do to walk before me faithfully as you have done.’ 26 And now, God of Israel, let your word that you promised your servant David my father come true.

27 “But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built! 28 Yet give attention to your servant’s prayer and his plea for mercy, Lord my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence this day. 29 May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, ‘My Name shall be there,’ so that you will hear the prayer your servant prays toward this place. 30 Hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.​

I've often wondered... how did the crowds hear the speaker back then? There were no microphones or PA systems. Picture these verses, for instance. Solomon is outside the Temple... in front of the people.... he stretches out his arms and turns his hands towards heaven and throws back his head.... and then he says... "Lord, the God of Israel". How did everyone hear him? Just an odd thought....

This is from blueletterbible.org.

Solomon did not dedicate the temple from within the temple. It would be inappropriate for him to do so, because he was a king and not a priest. The holy place and most holy place were only for chosen descendants of the High Priest.

And spread out his hands toward heaven: This was the most common posture of prayer in the Old Testament. Many modern people close their eyes, bow their head, and fold their hands as they pray, but the Old Testament tradition was to spread out the hands toward heaven in a gesture of surrender, openness, and ready reception.

There is no God in heaven above or on earth below like You: Solomon recognized that God was completely unique. The pretended gods of the nations could not compare to Him in any way.

You have kept what You promised: Solomon first thanked and praised God for His past fulfillment of promises.

Now keep what You promised Your servant David: Solomon called upon God to keep the promises that He made. This is the great secret to power in prayer - to take God's promises to heart in faith, and then boldly and reverently call upon Him to fulfill the promises.

Here's another thought.... when was the last time you saw the leader of a nation throw a massive party and deliver the opening prayer for the opening of a temple or a church?

This was not just the opening of a new building. This was the first permanent structure built by man for God. This was a big deal.

Remember, David wanted to build this temple but God told him no. God promised David that Solomon could build it.

It was appropriate for this king to build and dedicate this first permanent structure built by man for God because Israel was not a kingdom, democracy, republic, or dictatorship. This was/is a theocracy. It's totally appropriate that Solomon should throw his arms wide open and praise God with all his might. I bet that's how the people heard him.

Come to think of it... I wonder what became of this "permanent" structure.

:coffee:

Last edited: