1 Kings 8 Forgive and Act

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 8:31 “When anyone wrongs their neighbor and is required to take an oath and they come and swear the oath before your altar in this temple, 32 then hear from heaven and act. Judge between your servants, condemning the guilty by bringing down on their heads what they have done, and vindicating the innocent by treating them in accordance with their innocence.

33 “When your people Israel have been defeated by an enemy because they have sinned against you, and when they turn back to you and give praise to your name, praying and making supplication to you in this temple, 34 then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your people Israel and bring them back to the land you gave to their ancestors.

35 “When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because your people have sinned against you, and when they pray toward this place and give praise to your name and turn from their sin because you have afflicted them, 36 then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your servants, your people Israel. Teach them the right way to live, and send rain on the land you gave your people for an inheritance.

37 “When famine or plague comes to the land, or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers, or when an enemy besieges them in any of their cities, whatever disaster or disease may come, 38 and when a prayer or plea is made by anyone among your people Israel—being aware of the afflictions of their own hearts, and spreading out their hands toward this temple— 39 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with everyone according to all they do, since you know their hearts (for you alone know every human heart), 40 so that they will fear you all the time they live in the land you gave our ancestors.​

The message looks pretty clear to me. If we repent.

This is from the easy English site.

Solomon asked God to listen to people’s prayers when people prayed towards the temple. He asked that God would be their judge. God would know who was the innocent person or the guilty person.

Solomon also prayed here about many different types of trouble. Perhaps Israel’s enemies would attack them, or there would be a lack of food. Perhaps there would be a disaster or some disease. He prayed that God would forgive people. But they had to turn from their sins.

Solomon’s words refer back to Deuteronomy chapter 28. In that chapter, God promised to do good things for the people in Israel. However, they would only receive the benefit of those promises if they obeyed God’s law. If they did not obey, they would suffer many troubles. Solomon mentions many of these troubles in his prayer.

Of course, many people suffer similar troubles for other reasons. Troubles happen to everyone. These troubles are often not the result of sin (John 9:1-3). But Solomon knew how God had warned the people in Israel. And so this prayer was about those troubles that really are the result of sin. Solomon prayed that the people would not suffer a permanent punishment. God had provided the temple. And this temple would be the place where people would pray. They could offer sacrifices. They could ask God to forgive them. So Solomon prayed that God would forgive them. And he prayed that those troubles would then end.​

I think the theme of these verses is clear enough. I don't know if there are any friends of Bill W or one of those other twelve step programs reading my posts. Back in the day of dial up.... I was part of a group that met regularly. We called ourselves "friends of Bill W" so people could find us. We had a monitor who let us know when we could speak. I don't know if anyone even remembers dial up chat rooms.... ANYWAY... these verses remind me of the first three steps.

“We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.”

“Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.”

“Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood Him.”​

Do you see it?

:coffee:

Last edited: