Tons of people who live in crappy campgrounds

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We went on walkabout yesterday to try and find an alternative to our RV resort here. Currently we're about a half hour south of my southernmost grandchild, and over an hour away from the other one, so I'd like to get in between them for easier access.

There are about 8 million RV parks in the area between Austin and Temple, BUT most of them are really trailer parks where people live full time and aren't meant for recreation or vacation. Basically parking lots with hookups. Many are out in the way sticks, 15 miles to the nearest grocery store, nothing nearby that anyone would want to see or even work at, and it was confirmed that they cater to full-time residents and not vacationers. No pool, no playground, no activities, many times no cable or wifi provided. Rent is super cheap: $300-400 per month, but of course you have to have a trailer/camper/RV.

In our travels we run across many people who live full time in the campground, but most are retired people and the "campground" is a full resort with great activities and amenities. More like a retirement community for active adults. We also see people who live there temporarily because they're there for work and it's better than a hotel. The campgrounds we saw yesterday are cheap places for low income people to live.

So two things:

Low income people have to live somewhere, so it's pretty cool that some of them think outside the box instead of raising their kids in some crappy tenement. We're not going to be their neighbors because we require at least a pool to be happy, plus these are not so much camping people as Section 8 people, and we're not interested in that.

Second, if someone wants a great business opportunity, start a luxury RV resort in Georgetown, TX or general area. There are many reasons why someone would choose to visit that area for recreation, and there is a sore lack of RV facilities to accommodate it.

I think what we'll end up doing in the future is car tripping to see the grands and just stay in a hotel for a few weeks. Maybe do two weeks at one, two weeks at the other. We like the RV resort where we are now, but again it's not located conveniently for the only reason we come to central Texas in the first place.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a pretty good KOA in Leander, which would be perfect, but they're $65 a night with no monthly rate. Yikes! Where we are now, it's $660 a month for a premium site.

nutz

. Basically parking lots with hookups. Many are out in the way sticks, 15 miles to the nearest grocery store, nothing nearby that anyone would want to see or even work at, and it was confirmed that they cater to full-time residents and not vacationers. No pool, no playground, no activities, many times no cable or wifi provided. Rent is super cheap: $300-400 per month, but of course you have to have a trailer/camper/RV.

Low income people have to live somewhere, so it's pretty cool that some of them think outside the box instead of raising their kids in some crappy tenement. We're not going to be their neighbors because we require at least a pool to be happy, plus these are not so much camping people as Section 8 people, and we're not interested in that.

The kind of RV park where the camper has wooden additions and such? Not sure why they call those campgrounds

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The kind of RV park where the camper has wooden additions and such? Not sure why they call those campgrounds

There are two types of full time campground resident:

The ones who put together a really nice home, with improvements and attractive personal touches; and the ones who live like crap and turn their site into a junk pit. Most of your better campgrounds/RV resorts don't allow the second type.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Our neighbor here has the nicest setup. Cement pavers with a canopy. I asked him if he was afraid of losing the canopy to a wind storm. He told me the posts are cemented into the ground. That thing isn't going anywhere. He also added some great outdoor furniture and a bar. I should take a picture of his site before we leave.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Low income people have to live somewhere, so it's pretty cool that some of them think outside the box instead of raising their kids in some crappy tenement.

Sure until the 'camp ground' because a ghetto in the sticks ......

Did you see Ready Player ONE ?

The Stacks .....

RP1-Columbus.jpg

RPO-FP-318.jpg