A scorched-earth prosecutor and not a mention of Trump

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ALEXANDRIA, Va. - No one mentioned Donald Trump. Robert Mueller, either. The word "Russia" was not uttered.

[clip]

But Asonye's effort to deliver a classically simple, prosecutor's zinger of an opening got tripped up as U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis interrupted Asonye twice in his first minute, first admonishing him to steer away from bold assertions and only tell the jury what the evidence would show, then halting the prosecutor's description of Manafort's lavish lifestyle.

"It isn't a crime to be profligate in your spending," Ellis said.

With more than a dozen of his colleagues from the federal investigation alongside and behind him, Asonye recovered quickly, keeping jurors riveted through a 26-minute opening statement that portrayed Manafort as someone who lied about his taxes, his income, his business, and a litany of other topics.

Mueller's prosecutors, nearly all in dark navy blue suits, had entered the courtroom with a studied determination. They wheeled in 10 boxes of documents on two carts. They sat among themselves before the proceedings began, trading stories about scary judges and their first year in law school.

They looked, in contrast with Manafort's defense team, like Alexandria, the diverse Potomac riverfront suburb where the trial is being held because Manafort lives nearby. The prosecution table included Asonye, who is African American; two younger white men, and a female FBI agent.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Manafort-on-trial-A-scorched-earth-prosecutor-13121415.php

littlelady

God bless the USA
ALEXANDRIA, Va. - No one mentioned Donald Trump. Robert Mueller, either. The word "Russia" was not uttered.

[clip]

But Asonye's effort to deliver a classically simple, prosecutor's zinger of an opening got tripped up as U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis interrupted Asonye twice in his first minute, first admonishing him to steer away from bold assertions and only tell the jury what the evidence would show, then halting the prosecutor's description of Manafort's lavish lifestyle.

"It isn't a crime to be profligate in your spending," Ellis said.

With more than a dozen of his colleagues from the federal investigation alongside and behind him, Asonye recovered quickly, keeping jurors riveted through a 26-minute opening statement that portrayed Manafort as someone who lied about his taxes, his income, his business, and a litany of other topics.

Mueller's prosecutors, nearly all in dark navy blue suits, had entered the courtroom with a studied determination. They wheeled in 10 boxes of documents on two carts. They sat among themselves before the proceedings began, trading stories about scary judges and their first year in law school.

They looked, in contrast with Manafort's defense team, like Alexandria, the diverse Potomac riverfront suburb where the trial is being held because Manafort lives nearby. The prosecution table included Asonye, who is African American; two younger white men, and a female FBI agent.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Manafort-on-trial-A-scorched-earth-prosecutor-13121415.php

What a joke. Manafort is the fall guy in a ridiculous political fight. Leapfrogs are disgusting creatures. It is a new species, and they don’t know how to exist in the real world.

Last edited:

transporter

Ah...how wonderful...the "lock her up" crowd making excuses and rationalizations for a guy who failed to pay taxes on millions of income.

Nice post comrade GURPS...I am sure your propaganda will illicit a few more comments and you can make a few more nickels or dimes!!!

Hijinx

Ah...how wonderful...the "lock her up" crowd making excuses and rationalizations for a guy who failed to pay taxes on millions of income.

Nice post comrade GURPS...I am sure your propaganda will illicit a few more comments and you can make a few more nickels or dimes!!!

Why bother with a trial. Tranny has already convicted him.

littlelady

God bless the USA

You are ridiculous. I guess it is because you have nothing, just like the ones that are going after Manafort to link him to Trump. Like you, they have nothing.

This_person

Who is making excuses or rationalizations for failing to pay taxes?

I read the only two posts in this thread before yours, and they were about how the trial has nothing to do with Trump, contrary to everyone who uses Manafort as an example of how Mueller is actually making progress on his charge of investigating Trump Campaign collusion with Russia. Yet, in this show trial, not a mention of Trump or Russia.

As usual, you are seeing things that aren't there.

Hijinx

Who is making excuses or rationalizations for failing to pay taxes?

I read the only two posts in this thread before yours, and they were about how the trial has nothing to do with Trump, contrary to everyone who uses Manafort as an example of how Mueller is actually making progress on his charge of investigating Trump Campaign collusion with Russia. Yet, in this show trial, not a mention of Trump or Russia.

As usual, you are seeing things that aren't there.

Don't they have to prove he didn't pay his taxes? Isn't that what the trial; is for?
Why is Manafort on trial for not paying his Taxes and Sharpton is not.?

This_person

Don't they have to prove he didn't pay his taxes? Isn't that what the trial; is for?

Absolutely. It is the charge against him, as I understand it.

Why is Manafort on trial for not paying his Taxes and Sharpton is not.?

Because Manafort's name is connected with Trump's, and Sharpton's name is connected with Obama's.

CPUSA

I bet Manafort is regretting his decision not to spill the beans on Trump.

And do you want to know what's going to be the coolest part about a Manafort Conviction?
A Manafort PARDON within 24hrs!! Isn't that going to be so cool!!

SamSpade

..I am sure your propaganda will illicit a few more comments and you can make a few more nickels or dimes!!!

"Elicit" - not "illicit".

Moron.

Still, I am curious as to why this trial is in any way connected to Trump and anyone part of that investigation has any involvement
in it. This is a trial for a crime utterly unrelated to the investigation. It should be conducted apart from it.

This_person

"Elicit" - not "illicit".

Moron.

Still, I am curious as to why this trial is in any way connected to Trump and anyone part of that investigation has any involvement
in it. This is a trial for a crime utterly unrelated to the investigation. It should be conducted apart from it.

Because Mueller was given a "and whatever else you want to look at" blanket tasking.