Teslad continues to bleed

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Tesla continues to bleed

The continued losses are astounding!

Tesla's second-quarter revenue should grow by more than $1 billion as it delivered more Model 3 electric cars. But analysts predict it won't be enough to stop the company's net loss from rising dramatically when the Palo Alto, California, company reports earnings after the bell Wednesday.

https://www.manufacturing.net/news/2018/08/analysts-expect-tesla-2q-revenue-gain-big-net-loss?et_cid=6413596&et_rid=45595864&location=top&et_cid=6413596&et_rid=45595864&linkid=toc_headline

Last edited:

Clem72

Not that it's particularly smart to make any bets on TSLA stock (it seems to move independent of normal market indicators), but I would bet you a ham sandwich they go up after the report.

The bulk of negative news you hear about tesla is from the shorters who own an estimated 25% of public shares and stand to lose a LOT of money once they have to cover their shorts.

The fact is, TSLA makes a profit on every car sold (30% profit claim independently verified by Munroe & Associates). The only reason their balance sheet is red is that they are spending a ton on capital expenditures and pushes into tangential markets. Think Amazon, which took more than a decade to make a profit all the while expanding from selling books to selling other goods, services, cloud computing, video streaming, robotics, music, etc.

TSLA Market cap is pretty rediculous, but thats because investors believe that eventually Tesla will be a one stop shop for home energy generation and backup as well as vehicle and fuel plus "services" (I.E: SpaceX internet and music). They believe TSLA will be the equivalent of GE+GM+Ferrari+Hughesnet+SeriusXM and be palatable to the hippies. And they may be correct.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/08/01/tesla-earnings-highlight-rapid-model-3-production.aspx

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nd-relief-over-cash-marks-tesla-turning-point

The shares surged as much as 9.2 percent as of 6:25 a.m. New York time Thursday, before the start of regular trading. Tesla stock was down 3.4 percent this year through Wednesday’s close.

But here's where you see the benefits of a concerted campaign by shorts to buld an image. Even in an otherwisepeice, I see this line

Still, with the company building some Model 3 cars manually under a tent outside its assembly plant

No, they do have a "tent", but it's another assembly line, not a bunch of guy picking through piles of parts to assembe cars by hand. I've also seen the tent described as "makeshift". Having seen pictures of it, and knowing that similar "makeshift" tents here on base (we call then hanagars:)) have been standing 10 years or better, the term make#### serves only to instill an image.

Tesla Tent.jpg

tesla Tent 2.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
https://www.teslarati.com/greenlight-capital-david-einhorn-tesla-short-seller-loss/

Regardless of his fund’s losses, Einhorn still maintains his short position against Tesla, stating that he doubts the Model 3 could be “produced profitably anytime soon, if ever.” Einhorn also criticized Tesla’s ongoing initiatives to rush the Model 3 to reservation holders, as well as Elon Musk’s “erratic and desperate” behavior on social media.

“Right now the market is telling us we are wrong, wrong, wrong about nearly everything. We wonder whether surge production techniques to support self-congratulatory tweets are economically efficient ways of ramping production, or whether customers will be happy with the quality of a car rush through production to prove a point to short sellers. The most striking feature of the quarter is that Elon Musk appears erratic and desperate,” Einhorn wrote.

In response to reports of Einhorn opting not to renew his Model S’ lease, Tesla CEO Elon Musk fired off a tweet trolling the hedge fund owner.

TicToc by Bloomberg

@tictoc
· 31 Jul
The billionaire president of Greenlight Capital David Einhorn isn’t renewing his Tesla lease https://bloom.bg/2LU0ZSi pic.twitter.com/SmvzO3evpS

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
Tragic. Will send Einhorn a box of short shorts to comfort him through this difficult time.

3:46 AM - Aug 1, 2018
1,095 people are talking about this

So, Musk, if you want to keep tweeting, keep it like this :) Lighthearted poking, not assh%^ comments aimed at tangential people.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Musk just announced he plans to take Tesla private at $420/share..and has the funds lined up to do it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Musk just announced he plans to take Tesla private at $420/share..and has the funds lined up to do it.

Well, considering isnt the same as doing. Sitting at $358 a share right now. I hope not, since I'm hoping that the rumor that Tesla shareholders get first crack at SpaceX shares is true.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
LOL...I just read three different news flashes on the subject. One used "could", one used "might" and that third used "wants to"......

glhs837

Power with Control
Some speculation this is part of the "short burn of the century". Another noted that only Elon could say "And I have the money" regarding a 70 billion dollar buy and nobody even blinks. :) The reviews of the Model 3, especially the performance edition, are just over the moon.

from Car and Driver......

As you can imagine, this is a ton of fun. The magic of the Model 3 platform is in the feedback. The quick steering murmurs surface changes into your fingertips. The chassis lets you know exactly where and when the weight is shifting. Tossability, low polar moment and charm are all baked into the design. The Performance upgrades just let it sing louder.

The car minimizes distraction. With no engine noise to out-shout everything, and no concerns over shift points or powerband, you can focus on the most elemental part of track driving: The tires. I've never had such a clear understanding of the millisecond changes in front-end grip through a corner. You hear, and feel, everything going on at the contact patches, even at 100-plus. Pushing wide through Turn 1? Dab in a little regen, load up that front axle, and get ready to rotate. Feeling light over Lime Rock's puckering Uphill? You'll hear it, and correct for it, at a level you've never experienced in a bellowing internal-combustion car.

Motor Trend....

During his brief test drive with the Motor Trend team, Reynolds floored the Model 3 DMP and the car “surged ahead so startlingly that it stopped conversation. Except maybe for an uttered ‘Oh my god.’ I braked pretty hard and arched up the on-ramp toward the freeway. It was a flourish more akin to swiping a navigation route on your phone than driving a car on the actual road. [Fellow passenger] Carol might have been upside down by the time I backed off.”

What about the Model 3’s handling? Reynolds reports, “the dual motor and all-wheel drive give the compact Tesla a tensed, hair-trigger potency for leaping ahead or around whatever’s in the way. It’s pure jungle cat.”

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Some speculation this is part of the "short burn of the century". Another noted that only Elon could say "And I have the money" regarding a 70 billion dollar buy and nobody even blinks. :) The reviews of the Model 3, especially the performance edition, are just over the moon.

from Car and Driver......

Motor Trend....

Sounds impressive...but I'd miss the noise. ;-)