Anti-Trump FBI agent Strzok allowed to declassify documents after joining Mueller probe

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“The new emails show that Peter Strzok, an anti-Trump partisan, was given special dispensation to keep his ability to declassify documents and exercise other sensitive authorities for the Mueller special counsel operation,” Mr. Fitton told The Washington Times. “Given his record of misconduct, one has to wonder whether he abused these authorities while working for Mueller.”

[clip]

In August 2016, just days after he opened a probe into the Trump campaign, he texted that “we’ll stop” the Republican from becoming president. Right after Mr. Mueller was appointed, Mr. Strzok talked of impeachment.

In congressional testimony last month, he denied that any bias affected his decision making.

Mr. Mueller fired Mr. Strzok after Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz presented him with the agent’s messages. At the time, Mr. Horowitz was probing how the FBI investigated Hillary Clinton’s private email handling.

Mr. Horowitz’s report criticized Mr. Strzok for hurriedly opening the Trump probe before completing the Clinton inquiry.

On July 13, 2017, Mr. Strzok sent an email to Bill Priestap, FBI counterintelligence chief, stating he wanted to carry his existing powers to his new Mueller job, especially the authority to declassify information, an option held by few agents.

“I understand the need to fill my position within CD [counterintelligence division], but I’d respectfully request based on mission need that I keep the authorities from my old job,” Mr. Strzok wrote.

Anti-Trump FBI agent Strzok allowed to declassify documents after joining Mueller probe: Watchdog