Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I missed when she went from a cooking show to pet food!

  1. #1
    Imagine No Democrats Kyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    15,115

    I missed when she went from a cooking show to pet food!

    A man from New York is suing Rachael Ray’s “natural” dog food brand, Nutrish, for allegedly containing the “potentially harmful” herbicide glyphosate. In the $5 million class action lawsuit, Bronx resident Markeith Parks argues that it is deceiving for Nutrish to market its food as natural.

    “These claims are false, deceptive, and misleading,” reads the suit, according to The Wrap. “The Products at issue are not ‘Natural.’ Instead, the Products contain the unnatural chemical glyphosate, a potent biocide and endocrine disruptor, with detrimental health effects that are still becoming known.”

    The chemical, which is often used in weed killers such as Roundup, was found by tests done by an independent lab, state court papers according to the New York Daily News. While the suit says research shows glysphosate is a “probable” human carcinogen, the EPA says the chemical has “low toxicity” for humans.


    http://fortune.com/2018/08/07/rachae...-food-lawsuit/
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If You Don’t Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed." - Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    126,742
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rachael Ray is now a brand name, not a cooking person.

    Apollo doesn't like her dog chow, not even the canned stuff. It looked good, like something humans would eat, but he sniffed and snubbed.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  3. #3
    Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    A man from New York is suing Rachael Ray’s “natural” dog food brand, Nutrish, for allegedly containing the “potentially harmful” herbicide glyphosate. In the $5 million class action lawsuit, Bronx resident Markeith Parks argues that it is deceiving for Nutrish to market its food as natural.

    “These claims are false, deceptive, and misleading,” reads the suit, according to The Wrap. “The Products at issue are not ‘Natural.’ Instead, the Products contain the unnatural chemical glyphosate, a potent biocide and endocrine disruptor, with detrimental health effects that are still becoming known.”

    The chemical, which is often used in weed killers such as Roundup, was found by tests done by an independent lab, state court papers according to the New York Daily News. While the suit says research shows glysphosate is a “probable” human carcinogen, the EPA says the chemical has “low toxicity” for humans.


    http://fortune.com/2018/08/07/rachae...-food-lawsuit/
    Oh Great!! My girl loves the Nutrish food. On to another search for something the hussy will eat!!

  4. #4
    Registered User Yooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    SoMD (for now)
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Oh Great!! My girl loves the Nutrish food. On to another search for something the hussy will eat!!
    "...[T]he suit says research shows [it] is a "probable" human carcinogen...." Tarred by the broad brush of non-specificity; a typical lawyer tactic. I suspect the goal of the suit is a "cash grab": the plaintiff's banking on Rachel Ray/Nutrish's manufacturer settling to stop the bad press this suit was filed to generate (in exchange, of course, for a NDA).

    My pets like the stuff; my research beforehand eventually arrived at the EPA position's on glysophate. Just about anything can be a carcinogen; it's really a matter of probability and level of certainty. While further research may prove me wrong, at this point I think the probability is low and that this conclusion has a relatively high level of certainty (that glysophate is not a problem...).

    --- End of line (MCP)
    Last edited by Yooper; 08-07-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling, Clarification
    I'm with Flynn.

  5. #5
    Registered User luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    5,408
    "The lawsuit states that the source of the chemical isn’t known, but speculates “crops such as peas, soy, corn, beets and alfalfa are sprayed with the chemical in order to dry them and produce an earlier, more uniform harvest.” These foods are then used in the dog food."

    I dont know, do they do the same thing with the vegetables that are harvested for human consumption?

  6. #6
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    41,778
    glysophate


    is the latest Progressive boggy man after Silicon Breast Implants, Asbestos, 2nd Hand Smoke
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

    “Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

  7. #7
    Imagine No Democrats Kyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    15,115
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    glysophate
    is the latest Progressive boggy man after Silicon Breast Implants, Asbestos, 2nd Hand Smoke
    I thought it was vaccines
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If You Don’t Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed." - Mark Twain

  8. #8
    One of our little dogs was eating Beneful when we adopted her. She had so much gas that she would nearly run us all out of the room. We switched to Nutrish and *poof*, the gas is gone. She is a lot more pleasant to be around now. Our other little guy would eat cat turds if you put them in front of him, so he had no issues with the change in brands. Everybody is happy!

  9. #9
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    41,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I thought it was vaccines


    nope the enviro's are going after Round UP, based on a bogus UN Report
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

    “Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Members who have read this thread: 42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |