Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Time to put the DJmobile out to pasture

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I like Jeeps, but this seems like a Lemon
    Well, it's racked up over 75K since we got it summer of 2015. My big problem is that the damn thig doesnt communicate well. And I sorta get it, when we talk about what the nend user of the system wants to see/know vs what we think they need to know here at work, we get into that. Does the end user need to be able to dive deep into systems indications they most likely wont understand, and even if they could, are most likely not qualified to attempt a repair?

Just eats my soul that the damn thing can just up and die, then send a health report that says "Yep, I"m just fine, nothing to report here".
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Well, it's racked up over 75K since we got it summer of 2015. My big problem is that the damn thig doesnt communicate well. And I sorta get it, when we talk about what the nend user of the system wants to see/know vs what we think they need to know here at work, we get into that. Does the end user need to be able to dive deep into systems indications they most likely wont understand, and even if they could, are most likely not qualified to attempt a repair?

Just eats my soul that the damn thing can just up and die, then send a health report that says "Yep, I"m just fine, nothing to report here".
    I have a pretty good OBDII diag system installed on a Toughbook; it's been very, very handy...especially for trapping the kinds of strange and intermittent problems like yours.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I have a pretty good OBDII diag system installed on a Toughbook; it's been very, very handy...especially for trapping the kinds of strange and intermittent problems like yours.
    For normal OBDII, I can get all the federally madated stuff with a cheapie bluetooth adapter and Torque, even the free version. Of course, maker specific stuff isnt that easy. All the codes it popped were readable except one, and that's a U prefix, which if I recall right means bus traffic. But if the damn thing pops 6 or 7 codes, it should at least say "Hey Lady, I gots problems, take me in. " Or maybe a "I'm tried, Boss, real tired" in the health email it sends. Same thing when it somply died in an intersection last fall, display went dark, gauges died, engine stopped. After slapping it in Park and hitting the start button, it acted like nothing was wrong, damn thing didnt even set a CEL. Pulled codes, nothing. On the dealership machine, it puked up 5-6 codes, but since they were all transmission related it didnt set any I could see.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    For normal OBDII, I can get all the federally madated stuff with a cheapie bluetooth adapter and Torque, even the free version. Of course, maker specific stuff isnt that easy. All the codes it popped were readable except one, and that's a U prefix, which if I recall right means bus traffic. But if the damn thing pops 6 or 7 codes, it should at least say "Hey Lady, I gots problems, take me in. " Or maybe a "I'm tried, Boss, real tired" in the health email it sends. Same thing when it somply died in an intersection last fall, display went dark, gauges died, engine stopped. After slapping it in Park and hitting the start button, it acted like nothing was wrong, damn thing didnt even set a CEL. Pulled codes, nothing. On the dealership machine, it puked up 5-6 codes, but since they were all transmission related it didnt set any I could see.
    Sounds like you need to call Ghost Busters.....
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Nah, he just needs a laptop and a 12 year old :) What's the common point failure item (or wire/pin) of all the codes?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Nah, he just needs a laptop and a 12 year old :) What's the common point failure item (or wire/pin) of all the codes?

No telling without on a canbus networked car like this without being able to see the bus traffic. There's not a common point in a harness. When it died completely, they diagnosed a bad shifter module, but I kept getting other unrelated indications that only went away when I swapped the battery. We used to see this sort of thing with the advent of digital weapons system test sets. Dirty power would cause all sorts of wackadoo indications, but never ones related to power. I suspect it's going to eventually go back to the power generation system. Recently, it started killing the heated or cooled seats when we hit the disable button for the Engine Start/Stop System. I suspect some form of load shedding is happening. But they have to follow thier process.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 54