Atlanta Charter School Removes ‘Pledge Of Allegiance,’ Will Rewrite To Be More ‘Inclusive’

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Three issues here, I think.

First, what we think about the latitude that should be given to charter schools. If we claim to be PO'd over the horrible monolith that is public education I think we have to allow for latitude in the charter schools.

Second, to be honest, I have always struggled with the POA. On one hand, I don't pledge allegiance to the flag or necessarily to even the Republic for which it stands. It's all too totalitarianism for my tastes; reminds me of what Germans/Nazis or Russians/Soviets/Russians did/do and pledging allegiance to the flag was really pledging allegiance to the leader (Kaiser/Hitler or Tsar/Lenin-Stalin/Putin) even if the claim was pledging loyalty to the Vaterland (Fatherland) or Rodina (Motherland).

I would, however, pledge allegiance to the Constitution. This is why I loved my commissioning oath entering the Army; we swore/swear to support and defend the Constitution from which our Republic proceeds.

Third, the POA isn't mandatory (the Jehovah's Witnesses went all the way to the Supreme Court in 1943 over it). Old Order Amish and Mennonites don't recite the POA, either, if I recall correctly. And I would be against any attempt to make it mandatory.

So, for me, the charter school is free to do what they want. It won't be the POA, but a "poa." And the "poa" the school is considering is a POS. Wonder if the school will make it mandatory for students who choose to take a knee...? No way would I allow my kids to recite a "poa" to the "global community." But then again, given the type of school the charter probably is I wouldn't send my kids there in the first place.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Hijinx

First, what we think about the latitude that should be given to charter schools. If we claim to be PO'd over the horrible monolith that is public education I think we have to allow for latitude in the charter schools.

Second, to be honest, I have always struggled with the POA. On one hand, I don't pledge allegiance to the flag or necessarily to even the Republic for which it stands. It's all too totalitarianism for my tastes; reminds me of what Germans/Nazis or Russians/Soviets/Russians did/do and pledging allegiance to the flag was really pledging allegiance to the leader (Kaiser/Hitler or Tsar/Lenin-Stalin/Putin) even if the claim was pledging loyalty to the Vaterland (Fatherland) or Rodina (Motherland).

I would, however, pledge allegiance to the Constitution. This is why I loved my commissioning oath entering the Army; we swore/swear to support and defend the Constitution from which our Republic proceeds.

Third, the POA isn't mandatory (the Jehovah's Witnesses went all the way to the Supreme Court in 1943 over it). Old Order Amish and Mennonites don't recite the POA, either, if I recall correctly. And I would be against any attempt to make it mandatory.

So, for me, the charter school is free to do what they want. It won't be the POA, but a "poa." And the "poa" the school is considering is a POS. Wonder if the school will make it mandatory for students who choose to take a knee...? No way would I allow my kids to recite a "poa" to the "global community." But then again, given the type of school the charter probably is I wouldn't send my kids there in the first place.

--- End of line (MCP)

In a way you are right. If those parents sending their kids to school do not like them changing the pledge they can take their kids out.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

No way would I allow my kids to recite a "poa" to the "global community."

--- End of line (MCP)

I guess since I am of a generation that was brainwashed [I am sure that is what progressives would call it ] in school in the 70's and who recited the pledge every morning in grade school, it is just another on of those things stripped away, by people who really despise what America used to stand for, no This country isn't perfect, but millions, still today, come here looking for something better

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I guess since I am of a generation that was brainwashed [I am sure that is what progressives would call it ] in school in the 70's and who recited the pledge every morning in grade school, it is just another on of those things stripped away, by people who really despise what America used to stand for, no This country isn't perfect, but millions, still today, come here looking for something better

I think we're probably pretty much of the same age; I, too, recited the POA every morning and afterwards perfected my form with the "drop and roll (and cover your eyes)" drills.

As I stated, I have always been uncomfortable with the POA. Not because of what it spoke to, but the politics of it (i.e., a sort of "true believer" test). So in that respect, I agree with you about it being diminished today. It's not the POA that is the problem, it's the politics today undergirding the removal/modification (i.e., very much now a "'true believer' in the #Resistance" test).

So I find myself in the slightly awkward position of defending a POA I was never a huge supporter of for because those who are now seeking to see it undone are doing it for a much more dangerous and insidious purpose: the dismantling of the Constitution and, thus, the U.S.

#SchlichterUnfortunatelyMayBePropheticallyCorrect

--- End of line (MCP)

I'm not pleased with the 'under God' addition. So I don't say that part. No big deal.

On the other hand, I think children should be indoctrinated early and often. Every child in every school, public, private or religious, should be required to say the pledge every day. The 'under God' will need to be removed or the courts won't allow it.

I was a 50s-60s military dependent. I said the pledge frequently. Even though I moved away from religion, I still think the ten commandments are a fine guide to living. Early indoctrination works.

I might as well wish for early mandatory ethics training while I'm at it.

Salmon

Get a grip, snowflakes. Why are we righties so sensitive about pleading allegiance to an inanimate object?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here is the statement from the school, which is markedly different from what DailyWire is "reporting":

https://atlncs.org/pledge-of-allegiance/

Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School has and will continue to provide students with an opportunity to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each school day. In the past, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited during our all-school morning meeting, but at the start of the school year, the daily practice was moved to classrooms. This change was done in compliance with state law [O.C.G.A. 20-2-310 (c)(1)] and aligned Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School with most other schools in the state who also say the Pledge of Allegiance in individual classrooms. However, it appears there was some miscommunication and inconsistency in the rollout. Starting next week, we will return to our original format and provide our students with the opportunity to recite the Pledge during the all-school morning meeting.