Norway to test free heroin for drug addicts

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"We hope that this will provide a solution that will give... a better quality of life to some addicts who are today out of our reach and whom current programmes do not help enough," Health Minister Bente Hoie wrote on Facebook.

Norway has one of the highest overdose mortality rates in Europe, with 81 deaths per million in 2015 after Estonia (132 deaths per million) and Sweden (88 deaths per million), according to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction.

Already adopted or tested in Switzerland, the Netherlands and Denmark, medical heroin therapy is controversial, but supporters argue that in addition to improving the quality of life of addicts and lowering overdose mortality, it reduces crime and the costs associated with it.

The first treatments under the project will begin in 2020 at the earliest, the health ministry said in a statement.

Norway to test free heroin for drug addicts

Awesome, if you want to abuse drugs all your life, report here, sign away all your rights, and become a drug addled ward of the state ... 3 hots and a cot all the dope you can use

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Something is destroying your life, so let's give you more of it - free! - to improve your quality of life.

Okay.

officeguy

Good idea. It would reduce if not fix the problem of accidental overdoses. Put it in a vending machine where anyone with their 'addict card' can pull some doses. If you are found to give your H to a juvenile you get executed after a ad-hoc trial, no appeals.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They are trying to find a way to clean up the messy side of the problem..a quick fix that gets a bunch of them off the streets. It truly saddens me to see what has become of once-lovely Oslo as a result of the rampant drug problem combined with influx of refugees. Other cities are affected too...Stavanger, for example, where my son lives and works.

Last edited:

officeguy

Well, if you can't win the drug war, why not kill them off faster?

It wont kill them off faster. What kills them is the variable strength of street heroin and in recent years the contamination with fentanyl, carfentanil and other synthetic opioids. I you can just inject 'x mg of heroin USP' from a multi-dose vial, you can remain an opiate addict forever.

Hijinx

I believe heroin addicts need more heroin each time to reach the same high.
Isn't it a fact that addicted people keep increasing their dosage to keep the same high.?
Isn't this the reason that fentanyl is added to heroin? To get a higher high?

Certainly this will lower the deaths rate from polluted and unknown strength of the heroin, but one day the dosage will get them as they seek a better high.

I do not believe any addict is ever satisfied with the high once they are addicted.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If they offer free heroin, maybe it should be with the stipulation that there will be no free Narcan if and when they OD.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It wont kill them off faster. What kills them is the variable strength of street heroin and in recent years the contamination with fentanyl, carfentanil and other synthetic opioids. I you can just inject 'x mg of heroin USP' from a multi-dose vial, you can remain an opiate addict forever.

Your in-depth knowledge of this is kind of scary.

officeguy

If they offer free heroin, maybe it should be with the stipulation that there will be no free Narcan if and when they OD.

The cynical side in me says that the way to fix the current opiate crisis is to either outlaw narcan or to restrict its use to patients who have a valid opiate prescription. It wouldn't take long until the repeat customers who get their weekly narcan 'rescue' die off.
But then I fully realize that this would be a. unethical and b. unenforceable and I consider it a cynical thought experiment.

officeguy

Your in-depth knowledge of this is kind of scary.

I am not stating some great secret here. This is the consensus of those working with opiates. If the dopers could go to the pharmacy and fill their weekly script for injectable morphine or fentanyl, overdoses would be few and far in between. Addicts are not stupid, they know the narrow ledge between 'high' and 'stop breathing'. What kills them is the fact that the strength (in relative opiate units) of street 'heroin' varies by factors of 10 between suppliers.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I am not stating some great secret here. This is the consensus of those working with opiates. If the dopers could go to the pharmacy and fill their weekly script for injectable morphine or fentanyl, overdoses would be few and far in between. Addicts are not stupid, they know the narrow ledge between 'high' and 'stop breathing'. What kills them is the fact that the strength (in relative opiate units) of street 'heroin' varies by factors of 10 between suppliers.

Well, I am being sarcastic. But seriously, Norway can do whatever they want to try to combat drug addiction. Personally, I think providing more of it for free isn't the best answer. My concern is, these whacky ideas will eventually spring up here. I don't want people doing these drugs, but I also believe in individual liberty. If folks want to pump their bodies full of harmful chemicals to escape reality, they should be free to do so. I don't want our government supplementing that in some feigned attempt to fix their addiction.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, I am being sarcastic. But seriously, Norway can do whatever they want to try to combat drug addiction. .

That's not what they are proposing to do nor why they are proposing to do that they've said. They are not trying to "combat" drug addiction with this proposal..not at all. They simply want to gain some control over a situation that is spiraling out of control in many very ugly and "public" ways. Sweep it up and put it away in nice little box, out of view. They have the money lying around to try something like this. We don't.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's not what they are proposing to do nor why they are proposing to do that they've said. They are not trying to "combat" drug addiction with this proposal..not at all. They simply want to gain some control over a situation that is spiraling out of control in many very ugly and "public" ways. Sweep it up and put it away in nice little box, out of view. They have the money lying around to try something like this. We don't.

Dumbest idea to deal with drug addiction ever - government provide them free drugs. Just dumb.