1 Kings 11 Hadad Survived

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 11:14 Then the Lord raised up against Solomon an adversary, Hadad the Edomite, from the royal line of Edom. 15 Earlier when David was fighting with Edom, Joab the commander of the army, who had gone up to bury the dead, had struck down all the men in Edom. 16 Joab and all the Israelites stayed there for six months, until they had destroyed all the men in Edom. 17 But Hadad, still only a boy, fled to Egypt with some Edomite officials who had served his father. 18 They set out from Midian and went to Paran. Then taking people from Paran with them, they went to Egypt, to Pharaoh king of Egypt, who gave Hadad a house and land and provided him with food.

19 Pharaoh was so pleased with Hadad that he gave him a sister of his own wife, Queen Tahpenes, in marriage. 20 The sister of Tahpenes bore him a son named Genubath, whom Tahpenes brought up in the royal palace. There Genubath lived with Pharaoh’s own children.

21 While he was in Egypt, Hadad heard that David rested with his ancestors and that Joab the commander of the army was also dead. Then Hadad said to Pharaoh, “Let me go, that I may return to my own country.”

22 “What have you lacked here that you want to go back to your own country?” Pharaoh asked.

“Nothing,” Hadad replied, “but do let me go!”​

I'm going to pop a little verse in here from something I already studied. AND one of the commentaries brought it up.

2 Samuel 7:12 When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you.

This is from the easy English site.

Hadad had escaped from Edom when he was young. He went to stay in Egypt. There he married the sister of the king of Egypt’s wife. The king supported him. He did not want Israel to become too powerful. However, when Hadad wanted to return home, the king did not want to let him go. The king had good relations with Solomon because Solomon had married his daughter. But Hadad went back and he began to attack Solomon from the south.​

Boy... Solomon's wives are causing him issues already. One of his wives was the daughter of the king of Egypt. One of his enemies... Hadad.... was married to the sister of the king of Egypt. Now the king of Egypt has to be involved some way. The king of Egypt tried to keep Hadad in Egypt... but that didn't work.

This is from GodVine.

The writer has reserved for this place the various troubles of Solomon's reign, not allowing them to interrupt his previous narrative. He has, consequently, not followed chronological order. Hadad's 1 Kings 11:23 and Rezon's opposition belong to the early years of Solomon's reign.

The verse gives certain additional particulars of David's conquest of Edom. Joab was left, or sent, to complete the subjugation of the country, with orders to exterminate all the grown male inhabitants. It was not very often that David acted with any extreme severity in his wars; but he may have considered himself justified by policy, as he certainly was by the letter of the Law Deuteronomy 20:13, in adopting this fierce course against Edom.​

Seems Habab has a pretty good reason to be upset with Solomon's family. Now he's set for revenge.

:coffee:

Last edited: