Hoops coach pleads not guilty for punch that killed tourist

PsyOps

Pixelated
Hoops coach pleads not guilty for punch that killed tourist

A rising college basketball coaching star accused of throwing a punch that killed a New York City tourist who had apparently mistaken him for an Uber driver pleaded not guilty Thursday to an assault charge.

Wake Forest University assistant coach Jamill Jones attacked digital marketing guru Sandor Szabo around 1:15 a.m. last Sunday in Queens, causing him to fall and smash his head on the sidewalk, police said.

Szabo, visiting from Boca Raton, Florida, banged on the window of Jones' SUV while looking for his ride after his stepsister's wedding, police said.

A person familiar with the investigation told The Associated Press that Szabo may have been drunkenly knocking on car windows before Jones allegedly confronted him. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not allowed to speak publicly.

The coach got out, followed Szabo to the sidewalk, clocked him and sped off, police said. Szabo never regained consciousness and was taken off life support Tuesday.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had a friend who was killed in the same manner. The guy was only charged with manslaughter and served minimal time.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The charges may change now that Szabo died from his injuries. But, I'm really annoyed that Jones has only been charged with misdemeanor assault; and Jones pleaded not guilty to this. This is a minimum manslaughter.

Now, what do we have? A black man punches a white guy so hard that he kills him. No protests. No outrage. No hate crime. You have to ask if this was the other way around.

I don't to see this coach ever see a basketball court again - EVER!

PsyOps

Pixelated
I had a friend who was killed in the same manner. The guy was only charged with manslaughter and served minimal time.

You have to wonder what happen to get this coach that angry to punch this guy for - what it appears to be - simply knocking on Jones' window. Allegedly Szabo was drunk. Was there anything he could have done motivate Jones to punch him? In my mind, that really doesn't matter. You don't get out of your car, punch someone, then speed away. You stay on the scene and wait for police. So, he should also be charged with leaving the scene of a crime.

I want to know if it was racially motivated. I want the same outrage when this happens the other way around. I'm tired of seeing these incidents only be one-sided. It never seems to matter when it's white on black that there is no evidence of being racially motivated. The law immediately jumps on it being a hate crime. This needs to be a hate crime.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Fitting punishment would be to let one of the family members smash the culprits head with a piece of concrete

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So who was standing their ground: the guy who punched someone who was banging on their car in the middle of the night; or the guy who was punched?

Who initiated this contact?

You can try and throw it away by saying, "Oh, all he did was knock on the guy's window..." but I'd like to see how you'd react if that happened to you.

The dead guy did NOT mistake the coach of being his Uber driver, unless he was driving the exact same car as the app said would be there, and looked similar to the photo of the driver the app showed. He was drunk and banging on cars, being belligerent. I can certainly see how his victims might have perceived that as threatening.

So when is it okay to stand your ground? Only if you're a white person? Because I'm seeing a pattern here...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You have to wonder what happen to get this coach that angry to punch this guy for - what it appears to be - simply knocking on Jones' window. Allegedly Szabo was drunk. Was there anything he could have done motivate Jones to punch him? In my mind, that really doesn't matter. You don't get out of your car, punch someone, then speed away. You stay on the scene and wait for police. So, he should also be charged with leaving the scene of a crime.

I want to know if it was racially motivated. I want the same outrage when this happens the other way around. I'm tired of seeing these incidents only be one-sided. It never seems to matter when it's white on black that there is no evidence of being racially motivated. The law immediately jumps on it being a hate crime. This needs to be a hate crime.

It was similar circumstances. David & Barry were in the parking lot at 7-11 and another car came speeding through. They yelled at them to slow down. The car stopped and parked and the kids got out to confront them. When D&B got out of the car to reveal themselves and big biker dudes, the kid freaked and took a sucker punch to D in the head. He fell, hit his head on the concrete and poof - brain dead. The kids got back in their car and took off. Several days later, his wife Kathi, had to make the decision to take him off life support. This didn't happen here locally, this was back in California 1986/7ish.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You can try and throw it away by saying, "Oh, all he did was knock on the guy's window..." but I'd like to see how you'd react if that happened to you.

I'd drive away like the Fing coward did after he punched Szabo. Just drive away. JUST DRIVE AWAY. There is a guy dead because someone lost their temper over someone banging on his window. If he felt that threatened, why would he even get out of his car in the first place?

A guy is dead, and coach's career is ruined because he lost his temper. And I claim it was racially motivated. And don't bother asking me if I have proof. I don't need proof anymore than black people need proof when it's the other way around.

Hank

my war
I'd drive away like the Fing coward did after he punched Szabo. Just drive away. JUST DRIVE AWAY. There is a guy dead because someone lost their temper over someone banging on his window. If he felt that threatened, why would he even get out of his car in the first place?

A guy is dead, and coach's career is ruined because he lost his temper. And I claim it was racially motivated. And don't bother asking me if I have proof. I don't need proof anymore than black people need proof when it's the other way around.

There ya go, Psy... Make it racial!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So when is it okay to stand your ground? Only if you're a white person? Because I'm seeing a pattern here...

Not having used Uber, if they use a particular type of car I am unaware. That said a reaction to someone knocking on your window generally isn't a full on physical confrontation.

I've encountered quite a few drunks in my lifetime, some of them are obnoxious but not worth killing.

Not having all the particulars, I'm assuming the police have full video. If the drunk guy didn't take any provocative action, and knocking on the window isnt provocative, it's manslaughter.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not having used Uber, if they use a particular type of car I am unaware.

I've used Lyft and the app is similar. You put in for a ride and a driver(s) will respond with how far away from you they are, a photo of the driver, and the make/model/color of their car. Then you accept the ride you want. The app tracks the vehicle and tells you exactly where they are and when they arrive.

Also, you don't bang on your driver's car. They'll usually honk or flash their lights, and when you approach they'll confirm that you're you and they're them. There's no way this guy mistook a private citizen for his driver.

I've encountered quite a few drunks in my lifetime, some of them are obnoxious but not worth killing.

I'm guessing the coach wasn't trying to kill the guy, just wanted him to stop banging on his car. NYC, crazy guy banging on your car at 1am...depending on where exactly this happened, you can't just "drive away" because NYC traffic doesn't work that way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The guy was allegedly drunk. It's easy to assume he didn't completely know what he was doing. Certainly deserving of getting punched in the face. :rolleyes:

So it's okay to bang on cars if you're drunk?

What other threatening behavior is okay as long as you're drunk and don't know what you're doing?

It always surprises me how accepting you are of random stranger attacks and belligerent public behavior.

Tech

Read one account that victim had assaulted a third person prior to the coach's punch.

PeoplesElbow

But certainly worth punching.

One of the GMR wanderers stopped me by running out in front of my car one time and tried to open the door, it didnt open due to automatic locks. If it had opened I'd have punched that crack head bitch right in the face.

PsyOps

Pixelated
So it's okay to bang on cars if you're drunk?

What other threatening behavior is okay as long as you're drunk and don't know what you're doing?

It always surprises me how accepting you are of random stranger attacks and belligerent public behavior.

No, it's not okay to bang on cars if you're drunk. Are you suggesting that demands Jones get out and punch him so hard that it kills him? Wouldn't it have been more reasonable to call the cops, or - JUST DRIVE AWAY.

You're really calling what Szabo did threatening, at least to the point of deserving of getting punched? There are no reports stating Szabo was threatening or belligerent in any way. If Szabo was that threatening, why didn't Jones call the cops? Why did he punch and run?

Are you suggesting no consequences for Jones' actions at all; all over a guy simply banging on his car?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are no reports stating Szabo was threatening or belligerent in any way.

What reports are you looking at? ALL of them have reported that Szabo was indeed belligerent and beating on cars.

If Szabo was that threatening, why didn't Jones call the cops?

You need to take a trip to the big city. NYC cops aren't going to come running because someone is beating on a car all drunk and crazy.

Are you suggesting that demands Jones get out and punch him so hard that it kills him?

The punch didn't kill him. He punched him and the drunk ass fell and hit his head. THAT is what killed him, and why the coach will maybe be convicted of involuntary manslaughter and perhaps put on probation or something. More likely the case will be dismissed. The media is focusing on Szabo's grieving family members who are of course going to give one side of the story and not mention that their "goot boah" was drunk and banging on cars, and had already assaulted someone else just minutes before. A judge/jury will get to hear the whole story.