Hurricane Donations Found Rotting in Puerto Rico

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
SAN JUAN, P.R. — At least 10 trailers full of food, water and baby supplies donated for victims of Hurricane Maria were left to rot at a state elections office in Puerto Rico, where they broke open and became infested by rats.

Radio Isla, a local radio station, posted a video Friday showing cases of beans, water, Tylenol and other goods covered in rat and lizard droppings.

The Puerto Rico elections commission offices had been used as a collection center for goods donated from around the country for victims of the devastating hurricane that struck the island last year. For weeks, hurricane survivors lacked running water and electricity. Widespread power failures and a severe diesel shortage kept stores, restaurants and banks closed, making it difficult for people to purchase groceries.

But the head of the elections commission said that he has been calling the governor’s office and the National Guard regularly inquiring about plans to distribute the material, to no avail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

PeoplesElbow

Stuff like this is always going to happen in disasters. The workers, organizers etc are overwhelmed, they get a shipment and no place to put it, Pablo says hey this building has room put it there. Pablo goes home after 18 hrs straight and gets 4 hrs sleep. When he gets back the next day Flacca, not knowing about that storage space, tells him all the food, water etc has been distributed, Pablo moves on to take care of something else and in the little used building the supplies sit until someone walks in and finds them months later.

officeguy

Clearly Trump's fault.

That is the same government that just announced that they need another 134 billion of our money to rebuild.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Stuff like this is always going to happen in disasters. The workers, organizers etc are overwhelmed, they get a shipment and no place to put it, Pablo says hey this building has room put it there. Pablo goes home after 18 hrs straight and gets 4 hrs sleep. When he gets back the next day Flacca, not knowing about that storage space, tells him all the food, water etc has been distributed, Pablo moves on to take care of something else and in the little used building the supplies sit until someone walks in and finds them months later.

Unfortunately, in the case of Puerto Rico and its humanitarian supplies, everything goes through the fingers of the Communist Mayor of San Juan. We already know she has been skimming lots of supplies and money since the disaster. Pablo and Flacca are in the organization.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds

So basically you are taking up for people to XXXXing lazy to be organized enough to properly help the people of their own country.

Hijinx

I suppose some people can find excuses for this , but I cannot.

It's Bullsh1it.

Pass the stuff out when it comes in, don't warehouse it.

PeoplesElbow

So basically you are taking up for people to XXXXing lazy to be organized enough to properly help the people of their own country.

No what I am saying is when people doing the work are over worked, chaos is going on around them that things go wrong. It is called being realistic.

I've worked several weeks in a row 7 days a week 12-16 hr days and I can tell you that this sort of thing wears on you and mistakes get made and this was a normal job not chaos happening all around me.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

You don't have to be lazy to be disorganized, there are thousands of driven people who lose their hats after they put it on their heads.

Hijinx

From what I remember they were worried that they had no way to distribute the food and supplies. I don't see that as a great problem. If they start passing it out people who need it will find a way to get it. The biggest problem would be to stop them from crowding in all at once and pass it out in an equitable manner.
But they didn't they warehoused it. Now it's wasted.

black dog

Free America
Not much different than the 10,000 new rv trailers sitting at the airfield in Hope Arkanas, that we're never used including about half of them, the state of Louisiana turned down.
Waste and fraud always show themselves at each disaster.

Hijinx

Not much different than the 10,000 new rv trailers sitting at the airfield in Hope Arkanas, that we're never used including about half of them, the state of Louisiana turned down.
Waste and fraud always show themselves at each disaster.

It does and it's a damned shame. When I hear of the Red Cross running something I know it will be screwed up.

littlelady

God bless the USA
From what I remember they were worried that they had no way to distribute the food and supplies. I don't see that as a great problem. If they start passing it out people who need it will find a way to get it. The biggest problem would be to stop them from crowding in all at once and pass it out in an equitable manner.
But they didn't they warehoused it. Now it's wasted.

The irony of it all is that Puerto Rico, translated, means rich port.

officeguy

LA rather had their citizens displaced to other states or living in their moldy homes rather than accepting the FEMA trailers. They demanded FEMA provide complete modular homes, completely ignoring the fact that NoLa lots couldn't be cleared to set up those homes.

littlelady

God bless the USA
LA rather had their citizens displaced to other states or living in their moldy homes rather than accepting the FEMA trailers. They demanded FEMA provide complete modular homes, completely ignoring the fact that NoLa lots couldn't be cleared to set up those homes.

Napoleanic Law, and all that, y’all.

Or, a past/present corrupt Gov.

Pick one. There’s a whole lot of shakin’ goin’ on.

Go,Trump! God bless the USA.

Last edited: