Alaska fishermen next victim of Trump's tariffs

transporter

Alaska seafood industry braces for China tariff pain
...China, which buys $1 billion in Alaskan fish annually, making it the state’s top seafood export market.

Beijing, in response to the Trump administration’s move to implement extra levies on Chinese goods, last month imposed a 25 percent tariff on Pacific Northwest seafood, including Alaskan fish, in a tit-for-tat that has engulfed the world’s two largest countries in a trade war.

The results could be “devastating” to Alaska’s seafood industry, the state’s biggest private-sector employer, said Frances Leach, executive director of United Fishermen of Alaska, the state’s largest commercial fishing trade group.

“This isn’t an easily replaced market,” she said. If the tariff war continues, she said, “What’s going to happen is China is just going to stop buying Alaska fish.”

Trade wars are "so easy" to win, right?

Is the next bailout going to be for these fishermen?

Hijinx

Can I ask a question?
Who is China screwing when they raise the tariff on fish.

I mean, aren't they really screwing their own people who will have to pay more for it.?

I suppose it may hurt the fishermen in Alaska, but their catch will still be sold. Maybe it will mean a good supply for Americans at a cheaper price.
But it will get sold. Chinese people who want to eat the Alaskan fish will still be able to get it only their government will be raking in more money from them.

In effect hosing down their own people.

baxter

All the victims of Trumps tariffs,,,you would rather stay bent over and continue to take it from China??? Everyone in the US will have some effect from the tariffs, first it was the farmers,,,,then Trump helped them. We need to stick together to get through this, and perhaps your back wont be sore