Cat Stevens denied entry into U.S.

K

Kain99

We've seen Americans turned traitor before... Why should he get special treatment? :confused:

tirdun

staring into the abyss
The key to this article is
In July 2000, Stevens was denied entry to Israel amid reports that he had donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Islamic terrorist group, Hamas.
This would, of course, put him on the US watch list, since Hamas is a major terrorist organization. Even if the report were false, which is what Stevens (or Yusuf Islam as he calls himself) claims, it would flag him as someone to pay attention to.
In a statement released by his record label Universal Music at the time, he said: “I want to make sure that people are aware that I’ve never ever knowingly supported any terrorist groups – past, present or future.”
I've no idea whether or not anything ever came of the 2000 incident, or if there is any basis to it.

Regardless, he was not denied entry because he's a muslim, he was denied entry because he is suspected of contributing to Hamas.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kain99 said:
We've seen Americans turned traitor before... Why should he get special treatment? :confused:
Was Cat Stevens ever an American? I thought he was a Greek/Swede brought up in London.

If he contributed to Hamas then he belongs on the watchlist.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm still angry at Cat Stevens for selling out Salman Rushdie. He publicly supported Ayatollah Khomeini's death edict against Rushdie for "The Satanic Versus," in effect declaring that artists have no right to speak their minds. I say that freedom of speech is more important than any kind of political or religious orthodoxy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio said:
I say that freedom of speech is more important than any kind of political or religious orthodoxy.
Not me. After Farenheit 9-11, I've about had enough of "free speech" and the people who abuse it.

And I've had enough of messed up "journalists" who write stories about how terrible it is that the US won't let terrorist supporters come into our country. Dur.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Islam has become a prominent member of the UK Muslim community since abandoning his pop career and changing his name in the 1970s to devote himself to charity work and peace campaigning.

:confused: the same kinds of "charity work" as those "charity" groups who had their assets frozen for having ties to terrorist organizations?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
:confused: the same kinds of "charity work" as those "charity" groups who had their assets frozen for having ties to terrorist organizations?
The Muslim idea of "peacekeeping" is to kill everyone who's not one of them. That's when they think the world will be peaceful.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
And I've had enough of messed up "journalists" who write stories about how terrible it is that the US won't let terrorist supporters come into our country. Dur.
Their problem is that they're pushing their own orthodoxy and agenda. Just like any hellfire-and-damnation preacher or any political true believer, they're saying, "We're right and you're wrong." While they have the right to say that, it's hypocritical for them to claim that their judgmentality and self-righteousness is justified in the name of free speech.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
The Muslim idea of "peacekeeping" is to kill everyone who's not one of them. That's when they think the world will be peaceful.

And the media defends them ... :banghead: Guess they'll defend Hitler, too? :lol:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I want to know if Pat Robertson is on the TSA watch list. The man called for people to to attack Washington, DC with a nuclear bomb. If I said that, I would be considered a terrorist.

ylexot

Super Genius
jlabsher said:
I want to know if Pat Robertson is on the TSA watch list. The man called for people to to attack Washington, DC with a nuclear bomb. If I said that, I would be considered a terrorist.
Haven't seen that. Got a link/quote?

Danzig

ylexot said:
Haven't seen that. Got a link/quote?
http://www.gopusa.com/news/2003/october/1013_robertsonp.shtml

"If I could just get a nuclear device inside Foggy Bottom, I think that's the answer," Robertson asserted in the interview.

He added, "I mean, you get through this [book], and you say, 'We've got to blow that thing up.'"

Reaction from the State Department has been one of shock and scorn of Robertson's "despicable" comments.

"I lack sufficient capabilities to express my disdain," reacted Richard Boucher, spokesman for the State Department, during a press briefing.

Robertson has long been openly critical of the State Department, which he says works against the best interests of the United States.

But this is not the first time Robertson has called for the destruction of the State Department. In a similar interview with Mowbray in June, Robertson alluded to a desire to blow up Foggy Bottom then as well.

"Well, it looks like Congress had better do something, and maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up," Robertson said on his program four months ago.

Last edited:
vraiblonde said:
You forgot to clarify that by "one of them" you mean "a member of their exact brand of islam (i.e. suni muslim)" all members of other brands of islam must be eradicated too.

Warron

tirdun said:
Regardless, he was not denied entry because he's a muslim, he was denied entry because he is suspected of contributing to Hamas.

You have to love our little terrorist watch list. It lets the governments claim anything they want about anyone and act on that information as it were real, without ever proving a single thing. Makes you wonder what kind of watch lists we will have when terrorists go out of style.

ylexot

Super Genius
Warron said:
You have to love our little terrorist watch list. It lets the governments claim anything they want about anyone and act on that information as it were real, without ever proving a single thing. Makes you wonder what kind of watch lists we will have when terrorists go out of style.
So, what proof do you require?

ylexot

Super Genius
Danzig said:
http://www.gopusa.com/news/2003/october/1013_robertsonp.shtml

"If I could just get a nuclear device inside Foggy Bottom, I think that's the answer," Robertson asserted in the interview.

He added, "I mean, you get through this [book], and you say, 'We've got to blow that thing up.'"

Reaction from the State Department has been one of shock and scorn of Robertson's "despicable" comments.

"I lack sufficient capabilities to express my disdain," reacted Richard Boucher, spokesman for the State Department, during a press briefing.

Robertson has long been openly critical of the State Department, which he says works against the best interests of the United States.

But this is not the first time Robertson has called for the destruction of the State Department. In a similar interview with Mowbray in June, Robertson alluded to a desire to blow up Foggy Bottom then as well.

"Well, it looks like Congress had better do something, and maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up," Robertson said on his program four months ago.
I'd say that's good enough reason to bar him from flying. Can we deport him?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jlabsher said:
I want to know if Pat Robertson is on the TSA watch list.
I'll bet he is. Any time someone makes a statement like that, suddenly they start getting some attention from the men in black suits.

However you also have to make a distinction between random blowhards who are just talking out their butt and people who have actually followed through on their threats. So who knows?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Warron said:
So you are in favor of the Kerry method of waiting until they actually blow something up and kill people before taking any kind of action?