Painting over a wall painted red

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Just one wall in the kitchen, but it is a BRIGHT DEEP RED and needs to go. There was also some attempt at creating an antique look using some sort of black paint (?) over part of it but I don't know if that affects how to cover the red. I know several paint lines say they can cover this without first applying a primer but I don't know if this is really true. I am thinking a coat or two of primer would be a good idea, then paint the wall in the color I want. Yay or nay? If so, what brand of primer to use? Or anyone know a paint that would cover it without priming?

Also need to patch several holes in the drywall first where a large shelf was mounted but the screws ripped out (as well as taking some chucks of drywall) as they didn't screw them into the studs - just the drywall. Products to use and tips on doing this anyone? TIA!

For the holes, just some wall spackle and a spackle knife/trowel. Put it on but don't fuss at it, just one swipe to lay it on another to remove the excess. Let it dry completely, sand and apply a touch up spackle swipe. The new spackle will take paint differently, so those spots will need primer regardless of anything else.

If it were me, I'd prime coat the red wall or you may wind up having to use 3-4 coats to cover it completely, especially if it's a much lighter color.

I have a ton of spackle and knives, so don't buy any.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
For the holes, just some wall spackle and a spackle knife/trowel. Put it on but don't fuss at it, just one swipe to lay it on another to remove the excess. Let it dry completely, sand and apply a touch up spackle swipe. The new spackle will take paint differently, so those spots will need primer regardless of anything else.

If it were me, I'd prime coat the red wall or you may wind up having to use 3-4 coats to cover it completely, especially if it's a much lighter color.

I have a ton of spackle and knives, so don't buy any.

Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it! Some of the holes are pretty big and are not smooth as the drywall is pulled out, so I may need some more guidance. I'll post a picture tonight if I can.

I am thinking on painting the wall a turquoise color but haven't decided on a light or dark tone. Decisions, decisions! :lol: But from your response and those below, a primer is the way to go. :yay:

Kilz to cover the color.

You have to Kilz it, so it doesn't bleed.

Kilz is the answer but use the water based stuff.

Kilz it is! :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it! Some of the holes are pretty big and are not smooth as the drywall is pulled out, so I may need some more guidance. I'll post a picture tonight if I can.

I am thinking on painting the wall a turquoise color but haven't decided on a light or dark tone. Decisions, decisions! :lol: But from your response and those below, a primer is the way to go. :yay:

If you remember, I had to Kilz my whole upstairs because of the dark brown paint that came with the house.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Depending on the red paint on your wall, you may have to Kilz it twice.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If you remember, I had to Kilz my whole upstairs because of the dark brown paint that came with the house.

Yes, I remember. :twitch:

Depending on the red paint on your wall, you may have to Kilz it twice.

I used the product many years ago to paint over dark brown paneling and I seem to recall it took two coats. And stunk to high heaven but it worked. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Not the best pics but it gives you an idea what I am working with. Think Coca Cola red smeared with black.

20180813_211325.jpg

20180813_211508.jpg

20180813_211533.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA
Dot had a deep red wall in her dining room when she first moved in her house. Took two coats of paint, and done.