Pax River RAPIDS

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife's dependent ID card expired, so I logged into the RAPIDS website Friday to make an appointment to get her a new ID card. The earliest appointment at Pax I could get is Sept 12th!

What's up with that? Has something changed and there's now a huge backlog now?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My wife's dependent ID card expired, so I logged into the RAPIDS website Friday to make an appointment to get her a new ID card. The earliest appointment at Pax I could get is Sept 12th!

Yes, huge backlog. Leadership has suggested making appointments for upcoming expiring CAC's 3 months in advance. Which reminds me...

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yes, huge backlog. Leadership has suggested making appointments for upcoming expiring CAC's 3 months in advance. Which reminds me...

When I looked today, the next available appointment was Sep 18th so I made it. I wonder what the wait is at Dahlgren and Indian Head.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Did you check for appointments at the PSD Bldg (409)?

FED_UP

Yep. That's where I made my appointment. They do take walk-ins if you want to wait all day and still maybe not be seen.

Appointments have been that way for months, walk in is a hit and miss for crowds, I always call first before walking in to ask how busy they are. I remember one day walk in was long for some reason, I heard one guy say he was in line for about 3 hours at the PSD building.

MiddleGround

Well, it's to be expected when you have a total of 3 kiosks servicing 15,000 people! I'm surprised they can get you an appointment this year!

From what I have heard, it has been the roll out of Windows 10 that has caused most of the issues.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, it's to be expected when you have a total of 3 kiosks servicing 15,000 people! I'm surprised they can get you an appointment this year!

From what I have heard, it has been the roll out of Windows 10 that has caused most of the issues.

Like I said, I could go to Indian Head if I really needed it asap. This just means I'll have to go to the commissary with my wife if she really wants to go.

acommondisaster

Aug 22nd at Indian Head and Sep 14th at Dahlgren.

That's weird - I've done walk-in for a CAC 3 times in the past 6 months at Dahlgren and never had to sit more than 10 minutes to be seen. I'm a contractor. Coworker did the same at Indianhead, albeit he showed up about 5 minutes before they opened. I guess ID cards are on a different schedule? Edit: I remember one of the times I went, when I remarked how quiet it was there, the lady remarked it was generally slow first thing in the morning. But I've shown up at all times of day for new cards.

Last edited:

ShyGirl

Like I said, I could go to Indian Head if I really needed it asap. This just means I'll have to go to the commissary with my wife if she really wants to go.

A bigger implication: If your wife has military healthcare, does it also mean that her healthcare coverage terminates?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well yesterday was the day. Appointment was at 2:10 so we got there at 2:00, signed in, and took a seat. I was surprised when the supervisor came out a few minutes later, called off a bunch of names, and then called mine. (I'm guessing the others were appointments that didn't show up.) There were about five other people waiting when we got there that must have been walk-ins.

The wife and I had a trainee under direct supervision assisting us. I have to say both the supervisor and trainee were as nice as they could be. We had a scare for a moment because the only two govt issued IDs my wife had were her drivers license and her expired dependent ID card, and the supervisor was afraid the computer system would not accept the ID because of the length of time expired. Fortunately the "perversity of inanimate objects" gods were not with us yesterday.

They could definitely stand to have a few more terminals operating there, but that would require a larger room than they are currently in.