Most Surprising thing about the US according to an Indian

PeoplesElbow

This guy seems to be enjoying his stay.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-weirdest-things-about-america-2013-8

THings I found interesting

Almost every single person in America has access to basic food, clothing, water and sanitation. I haven't been to states like Louisiana and cities like Detroit, but from what I can tell, nobody is scrambling for the basic necessities required for sustenance.

Support towards the LGBT community — it's fairly normal to be part of the LGBT community; it's not considered a mortal sin if you like someone in your own gender or if you aren't comfortable being male/female/etc. Proof of this is the LGBT Pride Day held in every city etc.

SamSpade

I think Dinesh D'Souza once mentioned a man from India said he would like to go to a country where the poor people are fat.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
1 well traveled foreigner mentioned that he was surprised at the number of American flags he saw while roaming around.

SamSpade

1 well traveled foreigner mentioned that he was surprised at the number of American flags he saw while roaming around.

I've experienced that first-hand - someone from another country.
Of course, she was half drunk at the time - but she thought it was *funny* that everywhere she looked, there was a flag flying.

Yeah, there's a lot.

The ones I hear the most often:

1. Restaurant portions are huge.
2. Tipping - we don't do that in our country.
3. Bathroom stalls aren't completely private - what's with the doors anyway?
4. Your money - the color - it's boring.
5. Bread is too sweet.
6. Americans are VERY friendly.
7. Americans are very religious. Even the ones who say they aren't.
8. Don't like your candy. Tastes bland.
9. You're all fat. Seriously. Fat.
10. You don't like football? Excuse me, soccer?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1. Restaurant portions are huge.

They need to go to Canada. And if they want to gripe about the gross crap we consume, I would also direct them to Canada. Poutine FTW.

I've never actually heard a furriner gripe about the US; the ones we've met in our travels are quite complimentary. I always love hearing someone from France or Italy exclaim about how terrific the US is and how much they're enjoying their visit. I'm proud my country shows well, and that all the negative snarking these Eurotrash elitists print in their newspapers is proven false.

If I ever heard a British person say that *anything* in the US "tastes bland" I would laugh right in their face. A lot of the complaints are just jealousy - "Oh, you're too nice" "You're too prosperous and well fed" "You're too patriotic" " Your bread doesn't taste like sandpaper" "Your utilities work too well" "Your internet is too fast and reliable"

:yawn: :middlefinger:

Last edited:

SamSpade

If I ever heard a British person say that *anything* in the US "tastes bland" I would laugh right in their face.

Just candy. They're used to chocolate that is *VERY* sweet. And bread that isn't.
No argument there - plain white store bought bread is sweet - homemade bread isn't, but that doesn't mean it's not good.

When I was in Russia, we bought a bag of cheese puffs. Or so we thought. They were sugar - and awful.
I asked for peanut butter - which they thought was disgusting. Coffee refills are only free, here. In Russia, we even paid for
pats of butter, or little cups of cream for the coffee.

But in Russia - even though you will pay for water - they will ask if you want carbonated. "Gas, no gas?".

I can't disagree about restaurant portion sizes - I think it's intentional.
Where else might you pay 10-12 bucks for pasta and get twice as much as you can eat?
Weight is much harder to manage with age, and I've already started looking for the "old folks menu".
The one with smaller portions and less cost.

It IS pretty much true that every person I've known from abroad - when they are here A WHILE - they grow to like it.
They find that American friendliness is actually real, and not pretend. Most of their comments aren't complaints so much as
"adjustments". Like all night grocery stores or shops open in the evenings.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Weight is much harder to manage with age, and I've already started looking for the "old folks menu".

It was so much more fun being 20yo or so and ordering 2 big macs, Lg Fries, a FOF, a Lg Vanilla Shake, 2 apple pies and a coke... all while just 181lbs and full of energy. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where else might you pay 10-12 bucks for pasta and get twice as much as you can eat?

I think of that as a 2 for 1 meal deal. If I get something that will heat up well, I typically get the biggest portion they offer just for leftover purposes. A half rack of ribs is $x, but for $2 more you can get a full rack - deal! That half rack plus the baked potato I'm too full to eat is breakfast the next morning.

SamSpade

I think of that as a 2 for 1 meal deal. If I get something that will heat up well, I typically get the biggest portion they offer just for leftover purposes. A half rack of ribs is $x, but for $2 more you can get a full rack - deal! That half rack plus the baked potato I'm too full to eat is breakfast the next morning.

I guess I see eating out differently. It's convenience and a chance to relax, but only occasionally is it a chance to eat better than I can at home.
Spending 10 bucks on 80 cents worth of pasta, it's not worth it to order twice as much and take the rest home.
Not sure about the economics of a full rack for two dollars more - it's still bones. I guess it just depends.

It's my general aim to never need a doggie bag, even though with my kids, I almost always do.
I'm getting better. I order smaller meals for them and add sides to mine that THEY will eat and I won't.
I'd rather not leave a restaurant with food, and I really hate making a habit of it.

I almost never order appetizers any more, unless it's my MEAL. There's no point, I will never finish it.
Ditto dessert. When the staff come by at a steak house and suggest dessert before I finish, I say my dear,
THIS is my dessert.

It just costs too much to feed my whole family out anymore.

One thing I will add - I AM one of those who orders water and no "drink".
I can order a 7.95 burger plate, and they will tack on another 3 or more bucks for carbonated sugar water.
No thanks. Water's fine.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I can't disagree about restaurant portion sizes - I think it's intentional.

IMHO the material cost of food is the cheapest part of the meal ...
dinner costs more because of the back end stuff ...
labor, rent, lights etc

- so restaurants pile on the food so you think you are getting a 'bargain'

Oooo Red Robin gives me endless fries with my $ 15 dollar burger

MiddleGround

It just costs too much to feed my whole family out anymore.

One thing I will add - I AM one of those who orders water and no "drink".
I can order a 7.95 burger plate, and they will tack on another 3 or more bucks for carbonated sugar water.
No thanks. Water's fine.

:yeahthat:

If you never have, take notice of the costs for "drinks" at just about any eatery. They are making crazy money off of the drinks. $2.79 for a glass of soda :doh:

Family of 4 is $12 just for one round of drinks!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think of that as a 2 for 1 meal deal.

Pizza ... 2 days Min maybe 3

Chinese Food - the main course and Chicken Fried Rice - 2 or 3 days worth of meals ... then something else is done with the Sticky White Rice

a 15 piece box from Popeye's ...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
:yeahthat:

If you never have, take notice of the costs for "drinks" at just about any eatery. They are making crazy money off of the drinks. $2.79 for a glass of soda :doh:

Family of 4 is $12 just for one round of drinks!

Not bad for less than a dollars worth of fountain mix and carbonated water. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No thanks. Water's fine.

I drink gallons of iced tea or Diet Coke before, during, and after my meal, so I'm okay paying the $2.50 for it if I get refills. That's one thing I wasn't thrilled with in Canada: no drink refills. What is WRONG with you people???? Monello and I went to dinner at this place and I had umpteen refills of tea, served in wee little glasses, and we laughed in disbelief when we got the bill and realized we'd been charged $2 for each one.