Boston-area mayor boycotts Sam Adams after founder praises Trump

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It may be beer-time somewhere, but you won’t see one Boston-area mayor sipping on a Massachusetts staple anytime soon.

The mayor of Somerville, Massachusetts, Joseph Curtatone, is boycotting Sam Adams after co-founder Jim Koch praised President Trump’s tax cut plan at a dinner in New Jersey last week, saying it allows his Boston Beer Company to compete with foreign breweries.

Apparently that was enough for Curtatone to abstain from sipping a brew from one of America’s largest microbrewers. Curtone tweeted on Sunday that he “will never drink Sam Adam's beer again!”

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...oycotts-sam-adams-after-founder-praises-trump

SamSpade

This is dumb.

I mean, you don't even have to LIKE the guy to be able to observe if he's helped your business.
My niece absolutely abhors everything Trump, but acknowledges what he has done for hers.

This_person

Personally, I think this is awesome. It once again reinforces the idea that a person is allowed to voice their opinion, and to choose to buy or not buy based on their own criteria - thus proving once again that ObamaCare is just wrong.

It also proves that a politician is allowed to speak his/her mind without suggesting that the personal opinion is the official opinion of the government that politician represents.

It also points out how stupid this mayor is, making it easier for voters next election.

I find nothing but good out of all of this.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Personally, I think this is awesome. It once again reinforces the idea that a person is allowed to voice their opinion, and to choose to buy or not buy based on their own criteria - thus proving once again that ObamaCare is just wrong.

It also proves that a politician is allowed to speak his/her mind without suggesting that the personal opinion is the official opinion of the government that politician represents.

It also points out how stupid this mayor is, making it easier for voters next election.

I find nothing but good out of all of this.

Plus the Proglodyte boycotting the beer keeps people from getting the wrong idea about Sam Adams.

Let them stick to Natty Bo and Schaffers.

glhs837

Power with Control
More for me..... :) This new litmus test of hating Trump is really old, though. "I saw Trump written somewhere, so I burned the place to the ground!!!"

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Pub-licity, people. Pub-licity (pardon the pun).

And, of course, virtue signaling. Both probably play well with his constituents. This, from the Somerville Wikipedia page:

"Somerville has experienced dramatic gentrification since the Red Line of Boston's MBTA subway system was extended through Somerville in 1985, especially in the area between Harvard and Tufts. This was especially accelerated by the repeal of rent control in the mid-1990s followed directly by the dot-com bubble of the late 90s. Residential property values approximately quadrupled from 1991 to 2003, and the stock of rental housing decreased as lucrative condominium conversions become commonplace.

Gentrification has led to tensions between long-time residents and recent arrivals, with many of the former accusing the latter of ignoring problems of working-class families such as drugs and gang violence. Incidents such as anti-"yuppie" graffiti, appearing around town in 2005, have highlighted this rift. The economic clash between several areas of the city of Somerville and its neighboring cities of Boston, and in particular Cambridge, has created a culture of anti-gentry sentiment that has spanned many generations. Symptoms of this include petty crime, and in some cases, violence against outsiders.

Due to Somerville's close proximity to various institutions of higher education, the city has a constant influx of college students and young professionals, who reside in sections near Cambridge where Harvard University, Lesley University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are located and near Tufts University, which straddles the Somerville-Medford city line. The city is inhabited by blue collar Irish American, Italian American, and to a slightly lesser extent Portuguese American families, who are spread throughout the city. Immigrant families from Brazil, Haiti and El Salvador live primarily in East Somerville, while those from South Korea, Nepal, and India, tend to reside in the Union Square area.

In November 1997, the Utne Reader named Davis Square in Somerville one of the 15 hippest places to live in the U.S.

Somerville is home to a thriving arts community and boasts the second highest number of artists per capita in America."

--- End of line (MCP)