They're gonna need a bigger boat!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Maryland waterman Larry "Boo" Powley accidentally caught this 310-pound, 8.6-foot long bull shark off Cedar Point in St. Mary's County. The bull shark, known to consume fish, sharks and rays in fresh and shallow waters is a summertime visitor to the Chesapeake Bay.

shark.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandDN...993416186074/2047529285299135/?type=3&theater

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
I worked in D.C. for 25 years and occasionally they would drain the locks of the C & O canal in Georgetown to clean out all the trash people would dump. You name it, it was there, but the amazing thing to me were the enormous carp that got trapped between the locks.

Makes you wonder what you might find if the waters were to get real low in the bay.

Hannibal

Well, I guess there is no need to load up the Ocean Kayak and the Penn 12/16-O's and head down to Buxton/Hatteras anymore. The bigguns are apparently right in my backyard. Anyone ever been on a kayak sleigh ride? :oldman::bonk:

Hannibal

It's an awesome power/feeling for sure. They are unbelievably strong. I am a big boy and have had one hooked up on the sand that was big enough that I could essentially lean all the way back (damn near touching the ground) and it was still trying to pull me through the sand (broke the line BTW). A close second is hand lining a big stingray (IE - bow fishing for stingrays). I used to own a 21' Parker we'd shoot from and we'd hit one and kill the motor and it would pull THAT heavy @ss boat around!

I assume you were on the water in FLA or Gulf area?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I assume you were on the water in FLA or Gulf area?

I was in the Gulf, heading out of Grassy Key, just north of Marathon.

Rays caught in the bay certainly do fight for all they are worth. There are so many of them in there, I didn't mind taking a few out and putting them in the crab trap.