Christian Baker Again Under Fire for Refusing Transgender Cake

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On the very day the Supreme Court decided to hear Masterpiece Cakeshop (June 26, 2017), a caller asked the bakery to make a cake with a pink inside and a blue outside, celebrating a gender transition from male to female. The shop politely declined, but Phillips believes that the same lawyer, on other occasions, requested that he create other custom cakes with messages that violate his faith — a cake celebrating Satan and a cake with Satanic symbols. The lawyer, a man identifying as a woman, goes by the name Autumn Scardina.

Shortly after the Supreme Court gave Jack Phillips his win, denouncing the Colorado Civil Rights Commission for "religious hostility," the state began to investigate Phillips again, finding probable cause that he had discriminated against the transgender lawyer who Phillips believes placed the call.

[clip]

Ironically, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission actually defended another baker who refused to bake a cake that would convey a message. In 2015, the commission declined to take up an appeal involving Azucar Bakery, which refused to bake Bible-shaped cakes with messages against homosexuality. The bakery's owner, Marjorie Silva, said she refused to bake the cakes because the writing and imagery were "hateful and offensive."

The very same commission that defended Silva's free speech rights trampled on Phillips' free speech rights. This was one major reason why the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Phillips. (The Court was also persuaded by the commission's outrageously offensive comparison between Phillips' religious refusal to bake the cake and a defense of Nazism, which was particularly egregious because Phillips' father fought in World War II and liberated a concentration camp.)

https://pjmedia.com/faith/christian...g-transgender-cake-despite-supreme-court-win/

Last edited:

Salmon

If you want to discriminate, then you cannot do business. It’s not complicated, people.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you want to discriminate, then you cannot do business. It’s not complicated, people.

So my religious beliefs, had I any, would need to be subjugated to the beliefs of others? Can I ask a Muslim butcher to serve up a pork roast and sue him when he refuses? Could I call a kosher deli and demand they prepare non-kosher foods for my catered meals? I mean it's only religious beliefs that make those things wrong for them to do, correct? Is it discrimination for them to refuse me?

Salmon

So my religious beliefs, had I any, would need to be subjugated to the beliefs of others? Can I ask a Muslim butcher to serve up a pork roast and sue him when he refuses? Could I call a kosher deli and demand they prepare non-kosher foods for my catered meals? I mean it's only religious beliefs that make those things wrong for them to do, correct? Is it discrimination for them to refuse me?
If the Muslim baker doesn’t sell pork, than no. If he sold it, he cannot discriminate about who buys it. The baker makes cakes and cannot discriminate either.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If the Muslim baker doesn’t sell pork, than no. If he sold it, he cannot discriminate about who buys it. The baker makes cakes and cannot discriminate either.

The Christian Baker doesn't make Gay Wedding Cakes either. If he did....

Salmon

The Christian Baker doesn't make Gay Wedding Cakes either. If he did....
If he would make the same cake for a straight couple, then he has no choice but to do the same for a member of the LGBTQIAP community.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If he would make the same cake for a straight couple, then he has no choice but to do the same for a member of the LGBTQIAP community.

He doesn't make Gay Wedding Cakes for straight couples either.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Too late, skippy....court has already decided you are wrong about that. ;-)