English breakfast tea

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Blik. I'm drinking some now. It has an unusual, dirty taste. I much prefer our American Lipton or some other brand. I wish I drank coffee because Vrai's coffee always smells amazing. But when I try it I'm always disappointed in the taste. In order for me to drink coffee, I end up putting so much stuff in it, that if hardly resembles the original drink.

I guess some people like this as a morning coffee because it's quite strong. I enjoy a good cup of strong tea, just not this style of tea. Other than Earl Grey tea and an occasional chamomile, which isn't from tea leaves, you can keep all those flavored varieties of teas and leave me the boring pekoe tea.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Blik. I'm drinking some now. It has an unusual, dirty taste. I much prefer our American Lipton or some other brand. I wish I drank coffee because Vrai's coffee always smells amazing. But when I try it I'm always disappointed in the taste. In order for me to drink coffee, I end up putting so much stuff in it, that if hardly resembles the original drink.

I guess some people like this as a morning coffee because it's quite strong. I enjoy a good cup of strong tea, just not this style of tea. Other than Earl Grey tea and an occasional chamomile, which isn't from tea leaves, you can keep all those flavored varieties of teas and leave me the boring pekoe tea.

I always found the english breakfast to taste a little weak, honestly. Have you tried the Irish breakfast? I discovered that in a sampler pack and enoy that much more than the english brekkie. I also prefer the Earl Gray or even the Lady Gray which is supposed to be the less strong :)rolleyes:) version of the Earl. We were stationed in England for a couple years so my mother and I developed a love for a good cuppa. I cannot with the average Lipton :lol: But I typically stick with variations of black...never really gotten into the fancy green teas, complex herbal teas, etc.

But I've recently discovered I must be allergic to something in the chamomile teas, I usually wake up with majorly puffy swollen eyes :ohwell: Can't drink those when I could use something extra to help with sleep.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like Chai tea or cinnamon. It smells good and makes me feel cozy. But overwhelmingly I'm about coffee.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You're a lot better off going with loose teas. Try Oolong, and see if that works for you.

Black tea: 0.5 teaspoon per cup; water temperature 96°C (205°F); steep for 3 minutes.
Green tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 65-80°C (150-175°F); 3-4 minutes.
Oolong: 0.5 tsp/cup; temp. 90°C (195°F); 3-6 minutes.
White tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 80-85°C (175-185°F); 7-9 minutes.
Red tea (Pu-erh): 0.5 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 3-7 minutes.
Yellow tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 90°C (195°F); 3 minutes.
Rooibos: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 3-5 minutes.
Honeybush: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 5-8 minutes.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/how-to-steep-a-perfect-cup-of-tea-every-single-time.html

lucky_bee

RBF expert
You're a lot better off going with loose teas. Try Oolong, and see if that works for you.

Black tea: 0.5 teaspoon per cup; water temperature 96°C (205°F); steep for 3 minutes.
Green tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 65-80°C (150-175°F); 3-4 minutes.
Oolong: 0.5 tsp/cup; temp. 90°C (195°F); 3-6 minutes.
White tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 80-85°C (175-185°F); 7-9 minutes.
Red tea (Pu-erh): 0.5 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 3-7 minutes.
Yellow tea: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 90°C (195°F); 3 minutes.
Rooibos: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 3-5 minutes.
Honeybush: 1 tsp/cup; temp. 96°C (205°F); 5-8 minutes.

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/how-to-steep-a-perfect-cup-of-tea-every-single-time.html

am I supposed to be checking the temp of my water when I boil it :shocking:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
am I supposed to be checking the temp of my water when I boil it :shocking:

Only if you want the perfect cup of tea. I'm good with "ball park", personally. Is it boiling? Ready. LOL I'm more interested in the steeping times.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Only if you want the perfect cup of tea. I'm good with "ball park", personally. Is it boiling? Ready. LOL I'm more interested in the steeping times.

Mine usually steeps until the moment I've realized I made a cuppa tea and forgot all about it...anywhere from 4-18 minutes :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Mine usually steeps until the moment I've realized I made a cuppa tea and forgot all about it...anywhere from 4-18 minutes :lol:

I'll do that with some teas, but if it's a more expensive tea, I'll stand over it and count backwards. I'm basically a coffee person, but if I want a cup of tea, it has to be worth while.

black dog

Free America
I'll do that with some teas, but if it's a more expensive tea, I'll stand over it and count backwards. I'm basically a coffee person, but if I want a cup of tea, it has to be worth while.

No timer on your stove? Thats alot of Mississippi's. Just Say'in...

luvmygdaughters

The only time I drink tea...and I dont know why...is when I'm sick with a cold. I like to add honey and lemon to it. When I was a kid, in the summer, my mother always made sweet iced tea, in the winter, we would have a cup of hot tea with dinner. I cant recall exactly when she stopped doing the hot tea in the winter thing and just made sweet tea year round. I am a coffee person though, I have got to have my two cups in the morning, without fail.

SamSpade

We were watching "Outlander" and the British couple in it were commenting on how much they did NOT like tea bags in the United States, jokingly calling it barbaric.

But - I am definitely not a fan of brands labelled "breakfast tea". They don't taste right to me.