Buying an animal at the St Mary's County Fair

SamSpade

I assume when you buy a cow or a pig or a chicken at the Fair - you are buying it to be slaughtered.
Or at least - that's an option.

Has anyone any experience doing this? I know a local guy who takes orders and goes and gets the meat -
but I've never bought anything at the fair. How does that work?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I assume when you buy a cow or a pig or a chicken at the Fair - you are buying it to be slaughtered.

Has anyone any experience doing this? I know a local guy who takes orders and goes and gets the meat -

We bought a hog from Calvert County 4-H last year. (Because of the swine flu outbreak last year, there wasn't a live auction.) All the hogs were sent up to Sudlerville Meat Locker for butchering. We called the butcher, told them what cuts we wanted, and picked the meat up in Price Frederick.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

You register before the auction. You pick the slaughter house and butcher you want to use.
You bid on an animal. You can view them prior to the auction. If you have a winning bid you pay and they handle everything. You tell the butcher how you want it cut.
Pretty simple and easy.