ISO Recommendations Ceiling repair - Drywall

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Had a water leak from the attic air handling unit damaging 2 - 3 sheets of drywall in the upstairs ceiling, partially over the 2 story foyer. Repair to the unit is being handled by the home warranty company.

I live off Willows in Lexington Park. Had one fellow who was recommended by neighbors lined up to give me an estimate today, but illness in the family and he has to reschedule to next week. 2nd neighbor suggestion is booked solid for at least the next 2 months.

a 3rd suggestion was Tayman in Mechanicsville, any opinions?

Looking for other ideas.

Ceiling does not look in danger of coming down, but one seam peeled and am not sure how long a QBH nailed up ceiling will hold like that.

Here's what greeted us when we got home Sunday late morning. The seam to the right is the one that puckered and peeled, it is closest to the drop off. Water was dripping from one of the popped nail heads closest to that.

Luckily, when we got home, our ginger cat Buff was up on the rail yowling at the ceiling (he likes to sit on the railing that is 13' above the downstairs floor). Got a bucket under the drip. Caught it fairly early in the process, only got up a cup or so of water with the wet-dry vac from the carpet.

DSCF0055.jpg

I've used this guy a few times, he's just south of the base. He tends to like larger jobs, so if he does come for an estimate, don't be surprised if he highballs it because he really doesn't want the job.

Custom Drywall, Gene Novak
301-536-4180
genenovak35@gmail.com

FED_UP

Will your insurance cover this? Not an expert but I had to go in the attic once to figure out where rain leak was coming from. Well I stepped on the 1 sheet of drywall and knocked it half way out. I just got some prop to push it back up. I got nails and seems tape and repainted the seams. If the drywall is not buckling I think you can just do a self repair without replacing it.

Bobwhite

Had a water leak from the attic air handling unit damaging 2 - 3 sheets of drywall in the upstairs ceiling, partially over the 2 story foyer. Repair to the unit is being handled by the home warranty company.

I live off Willows in Lexington Park. Had one fellow who was recommended by neighbors lined up to give me an estimate today, but illness in the family and he has to reschedule to next week. 2nd neighbor suggestion is booked solid for at least the next 2 months.

a 3rd suggestion was Tayman in Mechanicsville, any opinions?

Looking for other ideas.

Ceiling does not look in danger of coming down, but one seam peeled and am not sure how long a QBH nailed up ceiling will hold like that.

Here's what greeted us when we got home Sunday late morning. The seam to the right is the one that puckered and peeled, it is closest to the drop off. Water was dripping from one of the popped nail heads closest to that.

Luckily, when we got home, our ginger cat Buff was up on the rail yowling at the ceiling (he likes to sit on the railing that is 13' above the downstairs floor). Got a bucket under the drip. Caught it fairly early in the process, only got up a cup or so of water with the wet-dry vac from the carpet.

View attachment 124320

Jamie Wilson 301-481-6673

Goldenhawk

Will your insurance cover this? Not an expert but I had to go in the attic once to figure out where rain leak was coming from. Well I stepped on the 1 sheet of drywall and knocked it half way out. I just got some prop to push it back up. I got nails and seems tape and repainted the seams. If the drywall is not buckling I think you can just do a self repair without replacing it.

Insurance may cover it but the deductible for most homeowner insurance policies will be far above the cost for this job. Don't bother.

Goldenhawk

I had this guy do a couple jobs for me, and was happy with his work.
Viens Drywall Co
38291 Golden Beach Rd, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
(301) 884-7272
Owner's first name is Serge.

But as with all these contractor types, good luck getting hold of them, and unfortunately like GWGuy said, they naturally prefer full jobs, not piecemeal stuff. But you may get lucky with someone who is between big jobs and would appreciate a quick one.

Let it dry out thoroughly before getting the work done. That may take a few weeks.

I would expect to simply retape and refinish the joints and then repaint - unless it's very weakened, there's no reason to replace the sheets. Looks like you caught it quickly enough to avoid damage.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thanks folks, my neighbor suggested a repair, too, rather than replacement as the damage is confined.

I was thinking, reinforce the hold on the ceiling joist with drywall screws and then putty, tape and repaint.

As long as the sheetrock didn't sag in the middle and still looks flat, a repair is a better way to go. If it sags while it's drying, you might want to replace it, or you'll forever be looking at the sag wishing you had replaced it.

Although, if you have access, you can add a few nailers to the beams and pull the sag up.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As long as the sheetrock didn't sag in the middle and still looks flat, a repair is a better way to go. If it sags while it's drying, you might want to replace it, or you'll forever be looking at the sag wishing you had replaced it.

Although, if you have access, you can add a few nailers to the beams and pull the sag up.

If I had my way, and the funds, I'd replace the whole attic level with full size floor joists instead of 2 x 4's. Re-do the roof support with room trusses and semi finish it with a proper stairway, plywood floor, insulation between the rafters, one of those motel heating/cooling through the wall units, and a place to put my stereo system and a bookshelf for favorite reads/LPs.

RodRugg

When my uncle Stanley's head got forced through the kitchen wall and into the living room my grandma just hung up pictures over the holes. In the kitchen she had a big picture of an old man praying about his loaf of bread and bowl of soup and in the living room she hung up a picture of a bunch of gobbler wasps feeding on a dead bear. You can probably use whatever pictures you like as long as it covers up the holes. For ceilings I would say that probably don't work too good unless you hang both ends of the picture.