"cutting the cord"

Agee

St. Marys' has always and continues to have limited alternatives to the cable company and reliable speedy internet service. And now:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...soaring-internet-prices/ar-BBLX6Oj?li=BBnb7Kz

Recently received a Amazon "Fire Stick" and with only Verizon Wireless as a internet pipe (5gb phone & internet) no way I'll be able to stream live TV content. Looking for options, as paying $100 for cable "expanded basic" (junk TV) and $100 for phone and internet access, their has to be a cheaper route?

warneckutz

I think ABB's fastest service runs at 200Mb (however, mine isn't working well so they're coming out today to deal with "noise" on the line - FML)

Anyway, I think I pay $80 + $5 for insurance for that. Buy your own modem and router to save a ton of money over the years.

I use SlingTV (Blue package - I think) - I just use it for Redskins and Capitals games mostly... they offer a 7-day trial.

glhs837

Power with Control
I really think these companies buy the local company and think they can make a go of it, then realize too late that the actual pysical plant is in such poor condition they then look for a sucker to pawn it off on. No way to make money if you fixed the lines.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You can get different bundles from Atlantic Broadband - cable, internet, and phone in different combos. If you just want internet, it's $40/month for the lower speed or $50/month for the higher speed. When I signed up in March for cable (basic +) and internet (100 mps), it was locked in at $99/month for the first year and they still offer that. I also got my own modem/router and returned theirs. I have a Roku and stream mostly Netflix through it with no problem. All sorts of combos you can get:

https://atlanticbb.com/bundles-deals/all-deals

I ditched Verizon for my phone and went to StraightTalk. I pay $45/month for 10GB (there are also $35 and $55 plans) and they use Verizon's network.

FED_UP

You can get different bundles from Atlantic Broadband - cable, internet, and phone in different combos. If you just want internet, it's $40/month for the lower speed or $50/month for the higher speed. When I signed up in March for cable (basic +) and internet (100 mps), it was locked in at $99/month for the first year and they still offer that. I also got my own modem/router and returned theirs. I have a Roku and stream mostly Netflix through it with no problem. All sorts of combos you can get:

I ditched Verizon for my phone and went to StraightTalk. I pay $45/month for 10GB (there are also $35 and $55 plans) and they use Verizon's network.

Did you have to call them to run a test on your line when you changed modem/router?

awpitt

Main Streeter
St. Marys' has always and continues to have limited alternatives to the cable company and reliable speedy internet service. And now:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...soaring-internet-prices/ar-BBLX6Oj?li=BBnb7Kz

Recently received a Amazon "Fire Stick" and with only Verizon Wireless as a internet pipe (5gb phone & internet) no way I'll be able to stream live TV content. Looking for options, as paying $100 for cable "expanded basic" (junk TV) and $100 for phone and internet access, their has to be a cheaper route?

Do you need the phone option? I haven't had a landline in years.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I think ABB's fastest service runs at 200Mb (however, mine isn't working well so they're coming out today to deal with "noise" on the line - FML)

Anyway, I think I pay $80 + $5 for insurance for that. Buy your own modem and router to save a ton of money over the years.

I use SlingTV (Blue package - I think) - I just use it for Redskins and Capitals games mostly... they offer a 7-day trial.

YouTube TV is another option for streaming TV.

Agee

Great Info, and I've checked the bundles available at Atlantic. Hesitated as they stipulated a "scheduled rate increase" over a particular span of time??? Still have a home phone which is fed by Verizon wireless (not land line). So, changing that account may cause a phone # change?

awpitt

Main Streeter
You can also save by turning in the regular cable box and getting a small one which is free. It doesn't support the pay per view, on demand, or the DVR features but it feeds the channels and gives you the program guide.

black dog

Free America

You Sling? Do you attend monthly party's?

FED_UP

You can also save by turning in the regular cable box and getting a small one which is free. It doesn't support the pay per view, on demand, or the DVR features but it feeds the channels and gives you the program guide.

How can I be like the Jones (good movie) then if I downgrade. Dates will not come back.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Did you have to call them to run a test on your line when you changed modem/router?

Yes, I had to call support and talk to a technician in order for their system "see" my modem by giving them the MAC address. We tested it while still on the call to make sure everything worked.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Great Info, and I've checked the bundles available at Atlantic. Hesitated as they stipulated a "scheduled rate increase" over a particular span of time??? Still have a home phone which is fed by Verizon wireless (not land line). So, changing that account may cause a phone # change?

The rate increase is $10 a month for the following year (and I believe each year afterwards) or you get a discount if you enroll in autopay (I didn't and may do so). Also installation was free although you will have to pay for any needed equipment. Already had the cable boxes and remotes so I only paid for their modem/router, which I replaced with my own in a few days.

You can keep your number and your current phone when you switch to StraightTalk. But not all phones are compatible so check first.

Switch to Straight Talk and keep your phone, your phone number and the same nationwide 4G LTE† coverage - all without a contract.

https://get.straighttalk.com/keep-your-own-phone/

You buy a service plan every month, then load in it your reserve. It will then kick in when your current service plan expires. No muss, no fuss.

PeoplesElbow

Actually you can , I did it for two years. Only reason I got rid of DSL for the internet was it was always going out on me.

Actually you can , I did it for two years. Only reason I got rid of DSL for the internet was it was always going out on me.

I am so ready to drop my DSL for that reason, and because I want to get rid of my landline but can't. If I drop the landline,, I have to cancel my DSL too. And they recently bumped the cost with no added benefit or speeds.

FED_UP

I am so ready to drop my DSL for that reason, and because I want to get rid of my landline but can't. If I drop the landline,, I have to cancel my DSL too. And they recently bumped the cost with no added benefit or speeds.

I think they make you think you need everything and really don't. For a while the phone line was not plugged in the DSL and everything was working normal. I can't remember what happened, but tech support had to fix something and wanted to run the connection test. I said the phone line is not plugged in the DSL, he says " well it needs to be plugged in for the test and system working". I said the phone line has been out for quite sometime and everything was working.

I think they make you think you need everything and really don't. For a while the phone line was not plugged in the DSL and everything was working normal. I can't remember what happened, but tech support had to fix something and wanted to run the connection test. I said the phone line is not plugged in the DSL, he says " well it needs to be plugged in for the test and system working". I said the phone line has been out for quite sometime and everything was working.

It's less of a functionality thing, and more of a contract thing. You used to be able to terminate the phone and keep the DSL, but a few years ago that changed. You could no longer cancel just the phone. Really had nothing to do with whether it worked or not.

FED_UP

It's less of a functionality thing, and more of a contract thing. You used to be able to terminate the phone and keep the DSL, but a few years ago that changed. You could no longer cancel just the phone. Really had nothing to do with whether it worked or not.

So they basically they operate like the Mafia.

glhs837

Power with Control

Of course, it's all about keeping the buggy whips moving out the door. Landlines are really heading the way of the phone booth.