10th Amendment Food for Thought

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's it say? I don't want to spend 5 minutes of my life watching something that could be read in :30.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
What's it say? I don't want to spend 5 minutes of my life watching something that could be read in :30.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

DACA, Taxes, Drug laws, ACA, Abortion, Gun Laws, Death Penalty, Speed limits, School rules etc.

I think you get it now.....

Actually the most important amendment of the 10.......just sayin'

It was against Federal Government tyranny like we had under Obama....

Last edited:

This_person

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

DACA, Taxes, Drug laws, ACA, Abortion, Gun Laws, Death Penalty, Speed limits, School rules etc.

Actually the most important amendment of the 10.......just sayin'

It was against Federal Government tyranny like we had under Obama....

:yay:

The states need to invoke Article IV and repeal the 17th and take control of the federal government back, like was intended and worked great.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I don't. Most of the things you mentioned are not federal concerns, and state laws vary widely on them.

If we're talking Amendments, one of my favorites is the Fourteenth:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

State's rights are all well and good, but do you really want California or Massachusetts or whatever other crazy state legislators running amok and creating laws that infringe on the rights of US citizens?

I think the Constitution is clear. The problem is that we don't hold our state legislation accountable when they overstep, and we certainly don't curtail our fed.

This_person

I don't. Most of the things you mentioned are not federal concerns, and state laws vary widely on them.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

State's rights are all well and good, but do you really want California or Massachusetts or whatever other crazy state legislators running amok and creating laws that infringe on the rights of US citizens?

I think the Constitution is clear. The problem is that we don't hold our state legislation accountable when they overstep, and we certainly don't curtail our fed.

You're kind of all over the board there from my point of view. We are agreeing that MOST of ALL things are state's concerns, not federal (that's the biggest point).

States like CA and MASS should write their own laws. So long as their laws do not violate the 14th (or any other amendments, or any specific task assigned to the federal per the constitution), then whatever stupid crap they write is fine for their state, and their state only. That's the whole point.

We fully agree - as 100% as you can get - that we pay far too little attention to the state legislatures - especially as the states are supposed to curtail the fed. That is the whole reason the 17th needs replaced.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

You do, just a little difference between our interpretations.....

Salmon

Sorry but the Supreme Court has the final say in everything, should they choose to chime it. Too bad they get it wrong most of the time.

This_person

Sorry but the Supreme Court has the final say in everything, should they choose to chime it. Too bad they get it wrong most of the time.

This is not true. That's why we have three EQUAL branches of government, not one SUPREME branch and two subordinate branches.

I urge you to read some of the constitution, and the federalist papers, and Common Sense, and I urge you to find other texts that will help you learn a little about how our government is designed to work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
States like CA and MASS should write their own laws. So long as their laws do not violate the 14th (or any other amendments, or any specific task assigned to the federal per the constitution), then whatever stupid crap they write is fine for their state, and their state only. That's the whole point.

So, to be clear, if California enacts a total gun ban, is that or is it not a violation of the 14th?

How do you feel about the legality of same-sex marriage being handed over for the states to decide for themselves?

:yawn:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yes, but when the Supreme Court makes a decision, it’s final.

No..actually, that's not true either. If it was, your buddies would not be peeing their pants about the prospect of Roe V Wade being overturned..

You really need to go back to school.

This_person

So, to be clear, if California enacts a total gun ban, is that or is it not a violation of the 14th?

How do you feel about the legality of same-sex marriage being handed over for the states to decide for themselves?

:yawn:

The gun ban is a violation of the 2nd. Marriage is a state issue.