Revoke my security clearance, too

transporter

Revoke my security clearance, too

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

...Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be

Gee...where have we heard all of these sentiments before? Oh yeah....from the roughly 60% of Americans who disapprove of Trump.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did you ever think you'd see a day when liberals would be clamoring for CIA spooks to keep spooking even after they retire?

It's actually impressive the way their masters have turned them completely around in just two short generations. Orwellian, but impressive.

Rommey

If he has not needed one since 2014 he should not currently have one, and probably doesn't.
Depending on when his last update was done, it would at least be time for the 5-year update. So if he's not in a position of needing a clearance, it likely would be expiring anyways soon, if it hadn't already. If he's in a position that requires a clearance, its a pretty stupid move to ask to have a necessary clearance to be revoked.

Hijinx

Did you ever think you'd see a day when liberals would be clamoring for CIA spooks to keep spooking even after they retire?

It's actually impressive the way their masters have turned them completely around in just two short generations. Orwellian, but impressive.

They believe they are the real power behind the throne.
They are just a bit pissed that Trump doesn't think so too.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
This tendency for former senior military officers to go political is troubling (in fact, this is why I feel like I'm sometimes arguing here on the forum with one hand tied behind my back: as someone who did retire at a fairly high rank I should be very careful in my remarks; unfortunately, while I probably have always kept the letter of the law I probably, in some posts, didn't keep to the spirit of it).

Anyway, this article from The Federalist today is a really good take on the subject:

No snips; wouldn't do it justice.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If it's not clear why I posted #9 (above), READ THIS:

--- End of line (MCP)

officeguy

Security clearances should lapse the day you leave government employ. If you need one for a contractor job, you should get a new clearance tailored for whatever access you need in that job. Retiring is enough of a change in life circumstances that it warrants a fresh look before you get access to classified information. That should go from enlisted to general to director of the CIA.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Security clearances should lapse the day you leave government employ. If you need one for a contractor job, you should get a new clearance tailored for whatever access you need in that job. Retiring is enough of a change in life circumstances that it warrants a fresh look before you get access to classified information. That should go from enlisted to general to director of the CIA.

Absolutely.

PsyOps

Pixelated

That was my thought. McRaven was appointed chancellor of the University of Texas, then stepped down due to health issues (according to Wiki). Why did he still have a clearance? These are the things about government that really bug me. This guy would still have access to classified information even as a non-government civilian. I get that he could have been used as an advisor, but I don't think he should have had a permanently active clearance.

Despite his incredible service and military experience, there is no doubt he is a never-Trumper. They exist at every level of our government and, in my opinion, are dangerous to be so against a sitting president. They forget that presidents are there at the will of the people and serve the people, not some established high-leve bureaucracy.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
That was my thought. McRaven was appointed chancellor of the University of Texas, then stepped down due to health issues (according to Wiki). Why did he still have a clearance? These are the things about government that really bug me. This guy would still have access to classified information even as a non-government civilian. I get that he could have been used as an advisor, but I don't think he should have had a permanently active clearance.

Despite his incredible service and military experience, there is no doubt he is a never-Trumper. They exist at every level of our government and, in my opinion, are dangerous to be so against a sitting president. They forget that presidents are there at the will of the people and serve the people, not some established high-leve bureaucracy.
You can have a security clearance, but if you don't have the "need to know" it doesn't mean squat.

officeguy

You can have a security clearance, but if you don't have the "need to know" it doesn't mean squat.

With a clearance, you can go to the national archives and dig around in classified documents that are not accessible to regular mortals.

glhs837

Power with Control
If it's not clear why I posted #9 (above), READ THIS:

--- End of line (MCP)

Every word of that rings perfectly true. Great analysis. I would love to hear Admiral McRavens opinion of it.

Clem72

Depending on when his last update was done, it would at least be time for the 5-year update. So if he's not in a position of needing a clearance, it likely would be expiring anyways soon, if it hadn't already. If he's in a position that requires a clearance, its a pretty stupid move to ask to have a necessary clearance to be revoked.

Your investigation is good for 5 years (I think 7 or 8 now due to backlog), but if you are not in a position that has an identified requirement you will not have an active clearance.