Militarary parade upsurprisingly tripled in cost

Chris0nllyn

Military parade upsurprisingly tripled in cost

Back in February:
President Trump’s proposed military parade could cost as much as $30 million, budget director Mick Mulvaney said Wednesday.

Mulvaney told the House Budget Committee that the parade's cost would vary depending on length, but could be anywhere from $10 million to $30 million.
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...itary-parade-could-cost-as-much-as-30-million

Today:
The Defense Department said Thursday that the Veterans Day military parade ordered up by President Donald Trump won’t happen in 2018.

Col. Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesman, said the military and the White House “have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019.”

The announcement came several hours after reports that the parade would cost about $92 million, according to U.S. officials citing preliminary estimates more than three times the price first suggested by the White House
https://apnews.com/53566c92681c4330...Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up! I will instead...
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1030423480725118976
....attend the big parade already scheduled at Andrews Air Force Base on a different date, & go to the Paris parade, celebrating the end of the War, on November 11th. Maybe we will do something next year in D.C. when the cost comes WAY DOWN. Now we can buy some more jet fighters!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1030426536871116801

Last edited:

transporter

Don't ya just love how Trump cancels and event that had already been postponed?!

The Pentagon postponing the event made Trump look like a stooge (granted that is easy to do)...so Trump has to then proclaim he cancelled the event and blame in on the DC govt.

What a buffoon.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Don't ya just love how Trump cancels and event that had already been postponed?!

The Pentagon postponing the event made Trump look like a stooge (granted that is easy to do)...so Trump has to then proclaim he cancelled the event and blame in on the DC govt.

What a buffoon.

Don't you just love an ignorant buffoon who doesn't know the difference between postpone and cancel? You think the libtard DC Govt is going to provide security for free? I would tell you to think again, but it's obvious the next time will be your first time.

Chris0nllyn

Don't you just love an ignorant buffoon who doesn't know the difference between postpone and cancel? You think the libtard DC Govt is going to provide security for free? I would tell you to think again, but it's obvious the next time will be your first time.

You do realize the White House said they'll look at 2019 (aka postpone), but Trump tweeted that he canceled it, yes?

I think it's amazing that people agreed with Trump about his "war games" in Korea costing too much money, but no one has made a peep about this. Fiscal conservatism is a pipe dream for the GOP.

MiddleGround

You do realize the White House said they'll look at 2019 (aka postpone), but Trump tweeted that he canceled it, yes?

I think it's amazing that people agreed with Trump about his "war games" in Korea costing too much money, but no one has made a peep about this. Fiscal conservatism is a pipe dream for the GOP.

Yes. He did in fact cancel the 2018 parade. Doesn't mean it will never, ever happen in the future. Why is that hard to understand?

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick

You do realize this is 2018, yes? Did you know that 2019 is next year? yes? Is looking at it a commitment? yes? Don't act stupid, because you're not.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Navy requested the postponement until they figure out a way to get the USS Ronald Reagan down Pennsylvania Ave.

SamSpade

I think it's amazing that people agreed with Trump about his "war games" in Korea costing too much money,

I don't remember anyone citing that as the main reason not to hold them -

I thought the point was, the optics play out poorly if you're conducting war games during a time of peace talks.
It lacks a degree of sincerity. It's a good faith gesture to hold them another time.

Or - if you're Trans - cancel them forever and ever and stand down all our forces and leave South Korea high and dry, permanently,
because according to her, that's what we did.

SamSpade

Frankly, however - it doesn't surprise me in the least that something the government proposes ends up costing more than originally forecast -
especially if the Pentagon or the DC government was involved.

Chris0nllyn

Yep..there is that. So..who do we believe?..Mattis?..or some anonymous unverified source?

Tough choice...

It was also in the article in the OP, had you read it.

Mattis himself said late Thursday that he had seen no such estimate and questioned the media reports.

The Pentagon chief told reporters traveling with him to Bogota, Colombia, that whoever leaked the number to the press was “probably smoking something that is legal in my state but not in most” — a reference to his home state of Washington, where marijuana use is legal.

He added: “I’m not dignifying that number ($92 million) with a reply. I would discount that, and anybody who said (that number), I’ll almost guarantee you one thing: They probably said, ‘I need to stay anonymous.’ No kidding, because you look like an idiot. And No. 2, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. I’ll just leave it at that.”

The parade’s cost, which was confirmed by multiple officials, has become a politically charged issue, particularly after the Pentagon canceled a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, in the wake of Trump’s summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Trump said the drills were provocative and that dumping them would save the U.S. “a tremendous amount of money.” The Pentagon later said the Korea drills would have cost $14 million.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is this something to carp about? Did you run out of other things?

I like the idea of a parade celebrating our military. If it's too expensive, then scrap it or come up with a different logistic.

Of all the petty things to bitch and cry about, how can this have even blipped your radar?

Hijinx

Why is this something to carp about? Did you run out of other things?

I like the idea of a parade celebrating our military. If it's too expensive, then scrap it or come up with a different logistic.

Of all the petty things to bitch and cry about, how can this have even blipped your radar?

Maybe Trump should come to Leonardtown for our parade. It's the largest in the State, and the cost is not prohibitive.

BOP

So if they do have a parade, will antifa show up in their little costumes with weapons, looking for a fight?