Smokey Joe’s Restaurant Closes Their Doors in Lexington Park, and Reopens in Leonardtown

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The last day to eat at Smokey Joe’s Restaurant on Three Notch Road in Lexington Park will be Friday, August 17, 2018.

According to a Smokey Joe’s Facebook post “This will be the last week we will be open in Lexington Park! We’re closing the store at close of business on Friday. We appreciate the business and friendship shown to us in the Lexington Park community”

Smokey Joe’s on the Town Opened in Leonardtown on Wednesday, August 15. Their new Facebook page said “Our first day could not have gone better. Thanks to everyone who came to see us, we look forward to seeing some new & familiar faces tomorrow!” The hours at the new location is 11am-8pm, with a last call at the bar at 9:00 p.m.

The new location in Leonardtown is on Washington Street in, at the old Bell Motors used car lot, beside Dunkin’ Donuts and Jessie’s Kitchen.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4380...in-lexington-park-and-reopens-in-leonardtown/

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I look forward to trying the new location, now that it's open. Last time we went that way, they weren't, and we ended up at the Mexican place. Yuck.

I have not heard good things about Dos Amigos from anyone who has actually tried it. :lol: I hope they do well in their new location but I have to wonder if they will survive without the lunchtime crowd from the base, even though they now have a liquor license. Time will tell.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have not heard good things about Dos Amigos from anyone who has actually tried it. :lol: I hope they do well in their new location but I have to wonder if they will survive without the lunchtime crowd from the base, even though they now have a liquor license. Time will tell.

I've had the same thoughts, as well. But it will make L'town a bit more diverse in dinner choices. We won't be going back to Dos Amigos. Ever.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well that's sad news, there goes my once a week stop for food on the way to Lowe's.
I had thought it was expansion, not relocation.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Isn't there a place called Urban BBQ or something like that in that same area of Leonardtown?

glhs837

Power with Control
Isn't there a place called Urban BBQ or something like that in that same area of Leonardtown?

Think they went under and Smoeky Joes took over that location. We ate at Urban once, wasnt impressed enough to go back.

Think they went under and Smoeky Joes took over that location. We ate at Urban once, wasnt impressed enough to go back.
Yep. Smokeys took over Urban BBQ space. The LP lease was up and the land owner wasn't renewing. Smokeys had to find a new home and as luck would have it Urban BBQ went under.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep. Smokeys took over Urban BBQ space. The LP lease was up and the land owner wasn't renewing. Smokeys had to find a new home and as luck would have it Urban BBQ went under.

Wonder what plans the owner of the space in Lexington Park has? Fairly valuable high traffic spot. Maybe a liquor store :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've had the same thoughts, as well. But it will make L'town a bit more diverse in dinner choices. We won't be going back to Dos Amigos. Ever.

I'm not thrilled with any of the so called "Mexican' food dispensaries in the area. To me, they are all the same. Big menu with lots of combinations of the same slop.

Smokey Joe's was always hit or miss, hope their quality and offerings stabilize in their new location.

black dog

Free America
Wonder what plans the owner of the space in Lexington Park has? Fairly valuable high traffic spot. Maybe a liquor store :)

It would make a great spot for another Adult Store..... Well not really, no parking out back for the religious folks...

PeoplesElbow

Funny smokey Joes story, I was waiting on my food one day at lunch time and there was another guy standing there also waiting. He had been waiting for a while because he was there when I ordered. I got my food sat down and was eating. A guy brings a plate out and someone in the kitchen are bumps into him and this guys ribs fall off the plate on the floor. The guy waiting on his food looked like he was about ready to cry (the ribs did look good).

The guy in the kitchen picks them up off the floor, says I will get you another, goes into the back and comes out within 30 seconds. Everyone that witnessed it is sitting there wondering if he actually got new ribs or the ones that got dropped on the floor.

I like dropping in to Smokey's on a whim for lunch. My favorite is a French dip, but I get sliced pork instead of beef. Really good.

I was in there earlier this week, saw the sign for reduced hours and new store. I too was hoping it was an expansion and not a relocation. Oh well.... Ltown is a bit of a drive for a last minute lunch thought, so I probably won't get up there nearly as often as I had.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Funny smokey Joes story, I was waiting on my food one day at lunch time and there was another guy standing there also waiting. He had been waiting for a while because he was there when I ordered. I got my food sat down and was eating. A guy brings a plate out and someone in the kitchen are bumps into him and this guys ribs fall off the plate on the floor. The guy waiting on his food looked like he was about ready to cry (the ribs did look good).

The guy in the kitchen picks them up off the floor, says I will get you another, goes into the back and comes out within 30 seconds. Everyone that witnessed it is sitting there wondering if he actually got new ribs or the ones that got dropped on the floor.

I'm not a fan of Smoky Joe's specifically because of stories like this.

First, the food doesn't come out consistently - you'll have three people in your group and two will be finished eating by the time the third person's food comes out. There is no rhyme or reason to this. I have waited 20+ minutes for a rib platter that should have been a simple plating, and have also had someone in my party wait 20+ mins for a sliced beef sandwich while the rest of us had ribs come out almost immediately.

Second, on more than one occasion I have been served moldy green bread. The first time, I brought it to the counter person's attention and he looked at me blankly for a second, took my plate in the back with his back to me, futzed with the sandwich for a couple seconds, and brought the plate back to me. You guessed it: he tore off the moldy parts and gave me the sandwich back. The next time this happened, I threw my lunch away and haven't been back since.

Blister

We have tried the new BBQ joint at the old Copsey's carryout in Mechanicsville twice. Both times the pulled pork and ribs have been good. Cole slaw good, not too sweet. Collards decent but somewhat bland. Potato salad not great. Local folks, glad to have another option in N. St. Mary's

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

My wife said that the land was sold to the Toyota dealership.
They will be building a used car dealership.

Airco's been kicked to the curb, too.

Guess we're getting much more of Crain Highway, Waldorf.

SAWK

Last time I ate at Smokey Joes I got severe food poisoning. Have never been back. I'll stick with Mission for now.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
based on everything I read here… I know not to go to Smokey Joe's.

Kind of pissed off right now since we had a phone order at Randy's ribs, only to drive all the way there, 35 mins, and find out they didn't have the meat for the order.

Guess next week it'll be mission barbecue instead.

I Miss Bear Creek.