Bacon

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I had this husband one time who used to take the whole pack of bacon and dump it into a red hot pan, then fry the crap out of it, kind of half separating the strips as he went. The result was strips of bacon that were burnt to chit in some spots and raw in others.

That was a divorce waiting to happen.

I am a meticulous bacon maker. Individual strips laid out neatly in the pan, turning several times over med-low heat until desired uniform doneness is achieved. I'm not above microwaving a few slices, and for large batches the oven is the way to go.

So which are you? Do you respect the piggy who gave his life for your BLT, or a heathen who doesn't deserve nice things?

:lol:

You do know that the "proper" way to cook bacon is in an oven, slices neatly spread on a broiler tray? ALL the best chefs say so.

That said, the oven cook method leaves me unimpressed. Yes, they're cooked evenly but there is a flavor completely lacking from a sizzling grill. I use an electric griddle, once piece at a time until I get the right crispness.

But I cheat. I use the pre-cooked bacon. Far far less grease to contend with, but the result is the same.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I open the package and cook the whole thing, on a sheet pan in the oven.

Every slice comes out crisp, flat and near perfect.

What doesn't get consumed at breakfast, by myself and the Malamute, goes in a container in the fridge for use through the week on Club Sandwiches, Burgers or BLTs.

Grumpy

Uh-huh... Says the "pre-cooked" bacon-like substance buyer. :neener:

:yay:

I do bacon both ways..oven is easier,20-30 minutes at 400 and I don't have to constantly turn them over or separate. Eggs over easy fried in bacon grease is the only way to fry eggs.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Uh-huh... Says the "pre-cooked" bacon-like substance buyer. :neener:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything... :lol:

Actually, the pre-cooked bacon is perfect for the motorhome's limited skills. But when I have the wherewithal to really cook bacon - like today - I fry it. This morning I did three pounds of thick cut, which will go in the fridge for the week's consumption.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;K7mqI5klgaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqI5klgaQ[/video]

:shrug: I still fry the pre-cooked on the griddle. It's real sliced bacon that's far less messy and crisps up the same as uncooked. No grease splatter to clean up. Also a lot more portable, I can keep a half dozen packs in the cupboard or pack it for camping with no refrigeration.

Bobwhite

I had this husband one time who used to take the whole pack of bacon and dump it into a red hot pan, then fry the crap out of it, kind of half separating the strips as he went. The result was strips of bacon that were burnt to chit in some spots and raw in others.

I am a meticulous bacon maker. Individual strips laid out neatly in the pan, turning several times over med-low heat until desired uniform doneness is achieved. I'm not above microwaving a few slices, and for large batches the oven is the way to go.

So which are you? Do you respect the piggy who gave his life for your BLT, or a heathen who doesn't deserve nice things?

I don't eat bacon anymore, but back when I did I would put 4-6 slices, unseparated, in the pan and let them separate by themselves. Less shrinkage.

SamSpade

I'd be like the guy who dumped the whole package and deal with the outcome.

Of course, that was when I lived by myself and I never cooked anything except LARGE packages of extra thick bacon.

My wife does the bacon most of the time in the house, and about a fourth of the time, it's pretty close to straight from the pig (we order it from a guy who slaughters pigs).

She does as others do - bakes it. She likes it crispy like a cracker - I like it slightly rubbery. Hell, I'll eat it raw - screw trichinosis.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Fried on low for a long time. it's not soggy or underdone, but I don't want it crispy.

Bonehead

I'd be like the guy who dumped the whole package and deal with the outcome.

Of course, that was when I lived by myself and I never cooked anything except LARGE packages of extra thick bacon.

My wife does the bacon most of the time in the house, and about a fourth of the time, it's pretty close to straight from the pig (we order it from a guy who slaughters pigs).

She does as others do - bakes it. She likes it crispy like a cracker - I like it slightly rubbery. Hell, I'll eat it raw - screw trichinosis.

Actually bacon is cured so it is safe to eat raw.

SamSpade

You know - good to know - or at least, be reminded of it. When I worked at a pizza place, I used to chow on bacon all the time.
I suspect I have several family members who are certain eating raw bacon will get me sick.
And honestly, I never understood the need to cook HAM for a long time, especially if it is cured.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The old George Foreman grill does the job wonderfully. It holds about 8 strips, close the top, catch the grease in the collector, and cook it evenly for all to your choice. Easy to clean up once it cools down a bit. Pan frying is good except for the grease splatters.

Bacon - any way, any method, anytime. Don't be too picky.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

A lot of bacon...even when claiming to be smoked..is not cured in a way that comes even close to temps required to render it safe to eat without further cooking it. I do my bacon two ways: salt-cured and smoked, and rub cured and smoked.

The first process yields bacon you could eat "raw"..the second does not..though people do get away with eating that raw too. Not me, not after all the things I find when I'm processing hogs...-).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I am a meticulous bacon maker. Individual strips laid out neatly in the pan, turning several times over med-low heat until desired uniform doneness is achieved.

Oven @ 310 .. Brown and Crispy to taste

I like mine on the melt in your mouth chewy side

:lol:

You do know that the "proper" way to cook bacon is in an oven, slices neatly spread on a broiler tray? ALL the best chefs say so.

That said, the oven cook method leaves me unimpressed. Yes, they're cooked evenly but ..

:Stop Right There :

PeoplesElbow

This is going to probably make you scratch your head but here is what I do.

I get a stoneware plate, put down a few folded pages of newspaper, then I put 4 paper towels on top of that, then I lay out the bacon pieces, cover with 4 papertowels, and with some more newspaper and then I microwave it. Believe it or not it comes out great.