Wrong again

transporter

Why does Trump propagate the same lie over and over?

Again this morning he says this:

The Economy is stronger and better than ever before. Importantly, there remains tremendous potential - it will only get better with time!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1030811421007929345

The last time he posted this BS a few days ago Robert Shiller ran a 25 paragraph column debunking Trump's lie. The pertinent paragraphs being:

That 4.1 percent G.D.P. growth is hardly unusual: We have had 101 quarters of growth at least this great since quarterly G.D.P. enumeration started in 1947. These high-growth quarters were interspersed among sporadic quarters of negative growth, usually recessions.

To understand subtle economic changes, it helps to look at the biggest ones. The fastest annual G.D.P. growth since quarterly numbers began occurred over the period ending in the fourth quarter of 1950, when Truman was president. It was 13.4 percent, more than three times bigger than the 4.1 percent of the last quarter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/...ven-faster-in-trumans-presidency-so-what.html

No the economy isn't stronger than ever before. It isn't even the strongest in the last 20 years. The late 90s boom was much stronger and much more economically sound that the debt fueled boost of Q2 2018.

But folks like Gilligan and the rest of the ingorati will run around bleating and jingling the little bells on their collars acting as if we are in some new golden age of economic prosperity.

CPUSA

I'm sorry all of President Trump's success causes you overwhelming anxiety & menstrual pain

Not really

SamSpade

You can always piss out the numbers to make things look bad but the overall strength of the economy is clearly - GDP.

Granted, it is *usually* going up, but it currently stands at around 19-20 *TRILLION* compared to a couple trillion around 1970.

It beats China by about 9 trillion, so currently we're not quite pumping out twice what they are - and they have 4-5 times the population.
Generally that would mean we're more productive but the simple truth is, almost a billion Chinese lead extraordinarily poor lives.

With low unemployment, low inflation, low interest rates and so forth - yes, it's safe to say it's doing better than ever, but perhaps not remarkably so.

Remember the GDP growth *RATE* is compared to the previous quarter. You can have an economy that is just growing by leaps and bounds -
but still be one of the weakest economies in the world. Ethiopia is currently growing at a phenomenal rate - but it IS one of the world's poorest nations.
I think when I was there, they told me the average Ethiopian makes about 85 dollars a year. A *year*.

So GDP growth RATE is a good sign of a growing economy, but make no mistake, what exists already counts for a lot.
2% growth in the U.S. in a quarter increases the economy by *more* than some economies pump out all year.

ALWAYS be skeptical when people pump out percentages and rates - while they're a good tool, they never give a good overall picture.
They only show how MUCH it's growing. A sequoia that grows 1% a year is still outpacing a rose bush doing 10.

BOP

Why does Trump turn me on so much?

what is it you say you do here.jpg