Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-H clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    More than one 4H club? Even if there were more than one in your area....I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I guess when I look them up online, there are different clubs or whatever they are called, meeting in different areas and have different specialties.
    Some, rabbits, poultry, horses, livestock - another seems to just be robotics.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Every year he goes to horse camp for free through his IEP, on account of his disability. But it's only a few weeks.
    He is currently working on his merit badge for Horsemanship and his merit badge counselor is helping him tremendously.

I just want something he can do all the time. I think this might be his calling.
    If you wouldn't mind sharing your location, you're close to hitting my little world. My adopted family has been doing 4H for something like 30+ years now. I also have quite a few connections through horse clubs/buddies and have a grandson that falls into the special needs area. Most of these club members are female so give me a name and we can get the scoop . If you're willing to trade some labor, most places will work a deal to help the kid and your wallet. Melwood (https://www.melwood.org/recreation/ride) had a great program (paid and volunteer) that fell into some disarray, but they are rebuilding to make it better.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I guess when I look them up online, there are different clubs or whatever they are called, meeting in different areas and have different specialties.
    Some, rabbits, poultry, horses, livestock - another seems to just be robotics.
    That's interesting...I've been out of it for a long time and the only involvement in 4-H within my extended family is all horse stuff. Back in the day, there was simply "the 4-H" club in our neighbood...one...and there was no particular kind of focus or specialization.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Don't know your son's age, or what specifically you think he'd be interested in re: animals, but consider possibly volunteering with your local humane society or the tri-county animal shelter? I know they have an age minimum for volunteers that varies by agency. In the summer (too late now) I know the Charles County Humane Society had some special camps they ran for kids to learn more about animals and helping to take care of them. Good luck in your search and hope you find something that's a good fit for him.

Members who have read this thread: 34