4-H clubs

SamSpade

I've been checking out 4-H clubs in the area - I think my oldest would do well in them, as he already does with Scouts and Special Olympics.

But while some of the chapters I have found have actually closed or are closing - what I don't know is what the experience is like.
The only folder I have online refers to clubs that meet a mere once a month, and that doesn't seem like very much.

Who has experience with 4-H in this area? I'd really like him to be involved.

black dog

Free America
Edited, I spoke to my son this morning and than I came back to give you who to talk to and his experiences with 4H .. Then with see what I posted was irrelevant so good luck to your son with his 4H experience. I won't make this mistake again Sam.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I grew up involved in 4H ....all of my siblings, and most of our neighbors were too. We only met once a month. The county and state fairs and summer 4H camp were the main activities we looked forward to every year.

SamSpade

I grew up involved in 4H ....all of my siblings, and most of our neighbors were too. We only met once a month. The county and state fairs and summer 4H camp were the main activities we looked forward to every year.

Perhaps I have the wrong idea in mind? I'd like to expose him to working with and caring for animals, as he has had a taste for it at horse camp these past few years.
But I don't suppose 4-H provides it as much as it connects those already involved? Is that true?
You're not likely to get more involved with cattle and horses and chickens and pigs through 4-H, but members typically do that already?

He does have special needs, and some of his other activities other than Special Olympics are getting complex for him.
He has his own difficulties with peers, but myself and others have noticed he's very good with animals.
Maybe because social structures aren't as complex and he is more relaxed around them.

So is that true around 4-H? Tell me more about your experience. It doesn't seem like once a month is all that much.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Perhaps I have the wrong idea in mind? I'd like to expose him to working with and caring for animals, as he has had a taste for it at horse camp these past few years.
But I don't suppose 4-H provides it as much as it connects those already involved? Is that true?
You're not likely to get more involved with cattle and horses and chickens and pigs through 4-H, but members typically do that already?

He does have special needs, and some of his other activities other than Special Olympics are getting complex for him.
He has his own difficulties with peers, but myself and others have noticed he's very good with animals.
Maybe because social structures aren't as complex and he is more relaxed around them.

So is that true around 4-H? Tell me more about your experience. It doesn't seem like once a month is all that much.

Have you looked into Greenwell State Park and their horse program? http://greenwellfoundation.org/page/equestrian-programs/

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Not at all...it just so happened that where I grew up was almost 100% farms..and hence 4-H was pretty big. That said, a lot of kids got involved in things that were "new" to them as part of the 4-H experience and that is very strongly encouraged. For example, one of my little sisters, already heavily involved in her horse riding and showing, started raising rabbits just for 4-H. My little brother..a competition winning sheep shearer and showman, started an azalea farm as a 4-H project. It's not just about animal husbandry..not at all.

SamSpade

Have you looked into Greenwell State Park and their horse program? http://greenwellfoundation.org/page/equestrian-programs/

Every year he goes to horse camp for free through his IEP, on account of his disability. But it's only a few weeks.
He is currently working on his merit badge for Horsemanship and his merit badge counselor is helping him tremendously.

I just want something he can do all the time. I think this might be his calling.

SamSpade

Not at all...it just so happened that where I grew up was almost 100% farms..and hence 4-H was pretty big. That said, a lot of kids got involved in things that were "new" to them as part of the 4-H experience and that is very strongly encouraged. For example, one of my little sisters, already heavily involved in her horse riding and showing, started raising rabbits just for 4-H. My little brother..a competition winning sheep shearer and showman, started an azalea farm as a 4-H project. It's not just about animal husbandry..not at all.

Is it worth his time to join more than one club?

SamSpade

More than one 4H club? Even if there were more than one in your area....I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I guess when I look them up online, there are different clubs or whatever they are called, meeting in different areas and have different specialties.
Some, rabbits, poultry, horses, livestock - another seems to just be robotics.

nutz

Every year he goes to horse camp for free through his IEP, on account of his disability. But it's only a few weeks.
He is currently working on his merit badge for Horsemanship and his merit badge counselor is helping him tremendously.

I just want something he can do all the time. I think this might be his calling.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your location, you're close to hitting my little world. My adopted family has been doing 4H for something like 30+ years now. I also have quite a few connections through horse clubs/buddies and have a grandson that falls into the special needs area. Most of these club members are female so give me a name and we can get the scoop :lmao:. If you're willing to trade some labor, most places will work a deal to help the kid and your wallet. Melwood (https://www.melwood.org/recreation/ride) had a great program (paid and volunteer) that fell into some disarray, but they are rebuilding to make it better.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I guess when I look them up online, there are different clubs or whatever they are called, meeting in different areas and have different specialties.
Some, rabbits, poultry, horses, livestock - another seems to just be robotics.

That's interesting...I've been out of it for a long time and the only involvement in 4-H within my extended family is all horse stuff. Back in the day, there was simply "the 4-H" club in our neighbood...one...and there was no particular kind of focus or specialization.

flowerlover

Don't know your son's age, or what specifically you think he'd be interested in re: animals, but consider possibly volunteering with your local humane society or the tri-county animal shelter? I know they have an age minimum for volunteers that varies by agency. In the summer (too late now) I know the Charles County Humane Society had some special camps they ran for kids to learn more about animals and helping to take care of them. Good luck in your search and hope you find something that's a good fit for him.