1 Kings 14 Dog Food

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 14:1 At that time Abijah son of Jeroboam became ill, 2 and Jeroboam said to his wife, “Go, disguise yourself, so you won’t be recognized as the wife of Jeroboam. Then go to Shiloh. Ahijah the prophet is there—the one who told me I would be king over this people. 3 Take ten loaves of bread with you, some cakes and a jar of honey, and go to him. He will tell you what will happen to the boy.” 4 So Jeroboam’s wife did what he said and went to Ahijah’s house in Shiloh.

Now Ahijah could not see; his sight was gone because of his age. 5 But the Lord had told Ahijah, “Jeroboam’s wife is coming to ask you about her son, for he is ill, and you are to give her such and such an answer. When she arrives, she will pretend to be someone else.”

6 So when Ahijah heard the sound of her footsteps at the door, he said, “Come in, wife of Jeroboam. Why this pretense? I have been sent to you with bad news. 7 Go, tell Jeroboam that this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I raised you up from among the people and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. 8 I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes. 9 You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made for yourself other gods, idols made of metal; you have aroused my anger and turned your back on me.

10 “‘Because of this, I am going to bring disaster on the house of Jeroboam. I will cut off from Jeroboam every last male in Israel—slave or free.[a] I will burn up the house of Jeroboam as one burns dung, until it is all gone. 11 Dogs will eat those belonging to Jeroboam who die in the city, and the birds will feed on those who die in the country. The Lord has spoken!’

12 “As for you, go back home. When you set foot in your city, the boy will die. 13 All Israel will mourn for him and bury him. He is the only one belonging to Jeroboam who will be buried, because he is the only one in the house of Jeroboam in whom the Lord, the God of Israel, has found anything good.

14 “The Lord will raise up for himself a king over Israel who will cut off the family of Jeroboam. Even now this is beginning to happen.(b) 15 And the Lord will strike Israel, so that it will be like a reed swaying in the water. He will uproot Israel from this good land that he gave to their ancestors and scatter them beyond the Euphrates River, because they aroused the Lord’s anger by making Asherah poles.[c] 16 And he will give Israel up because of the sins Jeroboam has committed and has caused Israel to commit.”

17 Then Jeroboam’s wife got up and left and went to Tirzah. As soon as she stepped over the threshold of the house, the boy died. 18 They buried him, and all Israel mourned for him, as the Lord had said through his servant the prophet Ahijah.

19 The other events of Jeroboam’s reign, his wars and how he ruled, are written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel. 20 He reigned for twenty-two years and then rested with his ancestors. And Nadab his son succeeded him as king.​

a. 1 Kings 14:10 Or Israel—every ruler or leader
b. 1 Kings 14:14 The meaning of the Hebrew for this sentence is uncertain.
c. 1 Kings 14:15 That is, wooden symbols of the goddess Asherah; here and elsewhere in 1 Kings

In the last chapter, God was inconvenient. Jeroboam set up two temples full of shining little idols because he didn't want his people traveling to Jerusalem in Judah to worship. Now his son is ill and he wants God to help him. I'm surprised God didn't laugh out loud at him.

This is from the easy English site.

Jeroboam sent his wife to find out from Ahijah if his sick son would recover. Ahijah had given him a good prophecy earlier (1 Kings 11:29-31), so he hoped for the same again. Perhaps Jeroboam thought that Ahijah would be angry with him because of his sins. So he told his wife not to dress like a queen. They thought that the prophet would not recognise her. Perhaps she thought that this would make the prophecy a good one. Jeroboam and his wife seemed to think that the prophet could bless them by his own power. Perhaps they thought that the prophet could cure their son by some kind of magic. But they were stupid. They did not realise that a real prophet’s power can only come from God. A prophet has no special power of his own. So the prophet depends completely on God’s word.

Ahijah told Jeroboam’s wife that God had sent him to her. Of course, she travelled to visit Ahijah. But really God sent Ahijah; in other words, God had sent Ahijah with a message. Ahijah had to take that message to Jeroboam’s family. But Ahijah did not need to travel in order to declare that message. Jeroboam’s wife was present with him. So Ahijah spoke his message. That message was about God’s judgement against her husband and his family.

Ahijah told Jeroboam’s wife that her child would die. But he would die for an unusual reason. That son had pleased God. In other words, the son was obeying God. So God would cause the son to die in order to save him from an awful punishment. Everyone else in Jeroboam’s family would die because of sin. People would not even bury their dead bodies because God was so angry with them. But that son was different. People would bury him in honour because he had pleased God.

Ahijah added that another family would rule over Israel. But the kingdom would never have a firm ruler. In the end, soldiers from Assyria would take the people into exile.

So Jeroboam’s son died. His death showed that Ahijah’s prophecy was correct. But Jeroboam did not turn back to God. Instead Jeroboam fought wars and he continued to rule by his own strength. And he continued to worship false gods. After he had ruled for 22 years, Jeroboam died. Two years afterwards, Baasha killed Jeroboam’s other son, called Nadab and all the rest of his family.

I found this little quip at the enduring word site.

I will bring disaster on the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam every male: Jeroboam could have had a lasting dynasty, but he wasted the promise of God with his unbelief, idolatry, and outright rejection of God.

Every male: “Means literally ‘he who urinates against the wall’” (Patterson and Austel).​

I figure the conversation we read between Jeroboam and his wife has been cleaned up for the Bible. I figure Jeroboam had already used his shining little idols and they hadn't worked. I bet Jeroboam's wife had been pleading with him to send someone to the Temple in Jerusalem, in Judah, to offer a sacrifice to the real God. I bet Jeroboam threw down one or two of those shining little idols, probably breaking them on the cold hard floor, and cussed. I'm sure they were both frustrated by the illness of their son and the heir to the throne. I figure he said to his wife, "you can go... but go to that prophet, Ahijah, in Shiloh [not the priest at the Temple in Jerusalem, in Judah], he supported my campaign for king." She probably shouted back.... "Finally!" I wonder if their marriage survived after his idol worship killed her son.

Check out verses 10 and 11. This is from GodVine.

Those who had escaped the fury of their enemies invading them, either because they were shut up in caves, or castles, or strong towns, or, because they were left, over - looked or neglected by them, or spared as poor, impotent, helpless creatures. But now, saith he, they shall be all searched out, and brought to destruction. Dung - Which they remove, as a loathsome thing, out of their houses, and that throughly and universally.

The dogs are the chief scavengers of Oriental cities (compare Psalm 59:6, Psalm 59:14). And the vulture is the chief scavenger in the country districts, assisted sometimes by kites and crows (see Job 39:27-30, where the vulture, not the eagle, is intended). Vultures are very abundant in Palestine.

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day thinking of dogs and birds eating dead bodies while the poo on the ground smolders and burns all around. That's a pretty graphic prophecy.

:coffee: