The Compulsory Society

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Vox may still be keeping up its risible just-the-facts posturing, but it is tendentious to the point of dishonesty: “Colorado baker who refused to serve gay couple now wants to refuse to serve transgender person,” it says.

That is not true, of course.

(But everybody knows that.)

Phillips serves customers of all sorts, including homosexual customers. What he declines to do is to make cakes for certain events, participation in which, even as a vendor, would violate his conscience. As he put it: “I serve everybody. It’s just that I don’t create cakes for every occasion.”

[clip]

But it would be foolish to analogize the situation of gay or transgender Americans in Colorado in 2018 to the situation of black Americans in Mississippi in 1930 or Arkansas in 1964. There is widespread tolerance and accommodation, and America’s sexual minorities have social, economic, and political power far beyond what African Americans had in the 1960s. (It is arguably the case that, in spite of their smaller numbers, gay Americans have more social, economic, and political power than black Americans have today, too.) In 1964, the case for intervening in the business of any particular motel operator or restaurateur was identical to the case for intervening in all of them: The problem was systemic, and effectively universal.

The same cannot be said of Jack Phillips and his little bakery. No gay couple seeking a wedding cake is going to have to travel three states away to find one if Phillips declines their custom. No transgender person celebrating a coming out is going to want for baked goods if Phillips refuses service.

Everybody knows this. The activists targeting Phillips do not care. The point is not to see to it that gay and transgender people can live their lives as they wish to — the point is to coerce Jack Phillips into conformity.

This is partly a matter of religious bigotry: Jack Phillips is a Christian, prone to citing the Bible as the basis for his business decisions, and gay activists wish to see such people publicly humiliated. They wish to seem them forced by the machinery of the state to submit and to violate their own beliefs. There isn’t any other juice in going after a previously obscure baker in this way.

The same is true of the Left’s demands for public funding of abortion and for using government power to compel elderly Catholic nuns to add contraception to their health-insurance plans. None of those controversies is about any material benefit. (Planned Parenthood claims that abortion constitutes only 3 percent of its business; surely they could absorb that minuscule cost, perhaps with a little help from Tom Steyer.) The message is clear: “Not only will you tolerate what we want, you will participate in it.” It’s more convenient to make the case for abortion if the blood is on every taxpayer’s hands.

The Compulsory Society

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think we should boycott activists. I have nothing against gay or trans or whatever people in general, until they start being aholes and trying to destroy lives.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have nothing against gay or trans or whatever people in general, until they start being aholes and trying to destroy lives.

:yay:

I really don't care what they do, but they seem to go out of their way flaunt their lifestyle

Hijinx

:yay:

I really don't care what they do, but they seem to go out of their way flaunt their lifestyle

They are no worse than atheists who want to tear down the Peace Cross in Bladensburg.
The Atheists are not doing this because the Cross is so offensive to them. They are doing it to show their ass.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

They can "flaunt" their lifestyle all they want. My objection is when they demand acceptance by being intolerant aholes and ganging up on their victims. They are doing exactly what they insist they are fighting against.

I know a number of gays and lesbians personally, and they do not condone these actions. The media is making it seem like ALL gays and lesbians are like this, just like they want you to believe ALL black people are violent ghetto dwellers, and that is simply a lie.

So yes, the media is lying to us. Try not to gasp too loudly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My objection is when they demand acceptance by being intolerant aholes and ganging up on their victims. They are doing exactly what they insist they are fighting against.

this is what I meant .... militant LBQGT screaming in the public for acceptance, but yet, are the most intolerant people on the planet

but do you hear anyone [gays and lesbins] speaking against their tactics :shrug:

its a kin to 'not all Muslims are Islamist's that want to kill infidels' yeah well where are the protests against the likes if CAIR and ISIS
Father's Honor Killing their own daughters for daring to marry or get involved with a 'westerner'

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but do you hear anyone [gays and lesbins] speaking against their tactics

Yep - all the time. You're not going to hear them on CNN or network news, but flip the channel to Fox and you'll see a ton of them. Tammy Bruce is only one. I also have personal friends who speak out against this sort of thing constantly on their social media accounts.

PS, I also see Muslims speaking out against their radical religion mates. They just don't get play on the prog media.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
PS, I also see Muslims speaking out against their radical religion mates. They just don't get play on the prog media.

If you've actually witnessed that, I'm shocked.

I've conversed with dozens and always get the standard sidetrack of "i do not agree with this, but...."

There's always a "But" and a long lengthy explanation implicating the U.S. or Israel to justify it.