What to make of the White House counsel’s cooperation with Mueller

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This was a serious miscalculation. It doesn’t matter for these purposes whether you believe your client has nothing to hide. What matters is whether the prosecutors believe this. Prosecutors, by their nature, seldom have that belief. In this case, moreover, it should have been obvious that Mueller and his partisan team never believed Trump has nothing to hide.

[clip]

Third, it seems unlikely that McGahn’s answers can form a valid basis for alleging criminality by Trump. The Times reports:

Mr. McGahn gave to Mr. Mueller’s investigators, the people said, a sense of the president’s mind-set in the days leading to the firing of Mr. Comey; how the White House handled the firing of the former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn; and how Mr. Trump repeatedly berated Mr. Sessions, tried to get him to assert control over the investigation and threatened to fire him.

In the absence of truly extraordinary circumstances, asking the Attorney General to assert control over a crucial investigation, and threatening to fire him (but not doing so), is surely not obstruction of justice. Neither is firing Michael Flynn, regardless of how it was handled.

Apparently, Team Mueller sees possible obstruction of justice in the firing of Mueller’s former comrade-in-arms, James Comey. I don’t know how this exercise of presidential authority could be obstruction, given that (1) Comey told Trump he had found no evidence of unlawful conduct by the president and (2) the firing of Comey did not shut down the Russia investigation and was never likely to.

The Times says Team Mueller asked McGahn about his discussions with Trump regarding firing Mueller himself. No doubt. But Trump hasn’t fired Mueller. Thus, while the conversations about this subject must have been interesting, they are not the stuff of justice obstruction.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archi...e-house-counsels-cooperation-with-mueller.php

Trump is a fool for having ANY Engagement with Muller

Hijinx

Trump made his biggest mistake with Sessions. who recused himself cowardly and quickly from the case.
Mueller has wasted a small fortune in this witch hunt , and any cooperation with him is foolhardy.
Almost 2 years now and nothing.

Mueller couldn't find his own ass with a flashlight and a wall mirror.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because I am naive, I default to "of course you cooperate with an investigation and answer their questions". If you're not guilty of anything and have nothing to hide, why wouldn't you?

This Mueller thing has been an eye-opening experience. We're watching history being made and so many of us are too stupid to realize it.

transporter

What to make of this is quite clear: Trump is just as incompetent as I continually state he is.

Trump, by his own toilet tweeting statements, claims HE gave the ok for McGahn to speak with Muller's team. By ANY definition, that was monumentally stupid.

Trump may scare some low level staffer into lying for him, but McGahn is an attorney who not only knows but understands the implications of lying to investigators.

Hijinx

What to make of this is quite clear: Trump is just as incompetent as I continually state he is.

Trump, by his own toilet tweeting statements, claims HE gave the ok for McGahn to speak with Muller's team. By ANY definition, that was monumentally stupid.

Trump may scare some low level staffer into lying for him, but McGahn is an attorney who not only knows but understands the implications of lying to investigators.

Damn: I missed that in the article.
Where did it say Trump asked anyone to lie for him.
You sure are observant to have picked that out.

Trumps problem is that he has been listening to this sh1t for months and is tired of it and wants it over.
Just like the rest of us..
He probably thought cooperation with this ex-FBI hack would get it done. Bad Move.

Mueller is getting a fat Government pay check for his fishing expedition and isn't anxious for it to stop especially when he has the backing of the Democrat party big shots who are the actual ones doing the colluding with Russians.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

how much did your Real Estate Empire Bring in last year ?
how may buildings have YOUR Name on them ?

Making the same MISTAKE Many do, When dealing the Police and Prosecutors, when you think you have 'nothing to hide' does NOT Make Trump Incompetent ... to run Businesses or be President